General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

Imagine,

being able to weld without the expense of gas cylinders or flux coated rods.
It is possible. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf0VA83suYM

Excellent weld penetration (with minimal welding fumes or odors.)
    Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:51 am

Looks like an interesting alternative. Seems to use a water/alcohol mixture and (compressed) air to create the flame/plasma which should make it nice and portable. No need to lug around gas cyclinders.

Seems it can weld a bit like an oxy-acetylene setup on steel, but looking at some of the other videos on these machines the mechanism for aluminium and such seems more like brazing with a flux and filler rod.

Can imagine it to be a useful tool in various (on site) repair jobs where you'd want a wide range of possible processes (cutting, brazing and welding) available in a compact and portable unit that can be easily transported and needs only power and some small (liquid) quantities of consumable materials.

Bye, Arno.
Billbong
    Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:28 am

Hi., I've got one of those outfits, use it all the time now and haven't used my conventional welding gear since I bought it three years ago.

It isn't cheap, but it doesn't use any consumables while it's not being used like you get with Mig or Tig that use Argon in rented bottles....no bottle or any gas etc.

It does take a bit of practice to get the best results, but being able to weld a thick piece of steel as well as a thin piece with the same gear makes it a universal piece of equipment for the every day user who doesn't want to have to keep stocking up with dedicated welding rods or different gases or reels of welding wire etc.

The whole kit can be stored in it's work bag without having to resort to a welding trolley that takes up room and restricts where you can use it.

There's a whole write up on another thread by Larry Lee under the title Multiplaz 3500 that gives a lot more detail.
Ian.