General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
NYWELDERJim
    Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:09 am

Hello guys,

I am looking to purchase a small lathe for my home shop and eventually purchase a small vertical milling machine. I am interested in setting up a shop to support my addictions to working on snowmobiles and motorcycles along with building parts to support a high school robotics team. My current projects need a lathe to make small bushings, shafts and the like. I have been looking at the machinery made by the Grizzly company, the offer a large selection of imported lathes. They recently added South Bend products to their line-up. I don't need a machine with a large capacity nor do I have the space for a larger machine. Does anybody have any experience with either Grizzly or South Bend small lathes? All info. and suggestions to get me headed in the right direction are highly appreciated. Many Thanks!!

Jim
Arizona SA200
    Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:28 pm

I have an old South Bend from the 50's and its a great machine. Its a 9x36 if i recall correctly. Not sure if the new ones are as good. Have you looked at any local used tool companies in your area. There is one about an hour away from me that usually has great deals. From what I know about mills and lathes is most of the time the older ones are better, built to tighter tolerances i guess.
I stack dimes for a living so i can stack dollars for a paycheck.
NYWELDERJim

Thanks for the reply. I have not looked into any used equipment companies yet, just starting my search. There used to be a ton of machine shops both large and small in my region, formerly lot's of manufacturing. There are probably plenty of machines sitting in old shops and and hobby shops right n my area that would be great bargains. Just need to find them. The only space I have is in my basement so I will need to limit the size and weight of the machine, need to carry it down a set of stairs. Thanks!

Jim
Arizona SA200

My 9x36 doesn't weigh much but would take two people to carry it in to a basement. Look in to the used equipment and see if you can find a deal.
    Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:14 pm

I picked up a 1948 model Craftsman 109 lathe at an auction for $40 ! Took and old tread mill apart for the motor and speed control....added a mini Aloris quick change tool post. Now it is a nice tool to have and is handy for those fiddly bits I seem to like to work with. Keep a look out on CL as well....you have to be in the right place at the right time for deals like these. It will cut a huge variety of threads and has all the change gears as well as power cross feed apron....
Building an airplane is at times somewhat like a divorce.....with the exception that she doesn't leave
J.J. Flash
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

Be careful when you look at some of the smaller lathes like the 9x's, some of them do not have a reversible leadscrew. If you ever need to do left hand threading, that will be a problem. I too would recommend looking into used, but again you have to be careful. I recently bought an old Atlas lathe for a little over $500 and wound up putting in another $600 in gears, a motor and some bearings.
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Check out www.smithy.com the Midas is the small version, granite is the larger model. I've been looking at them for awhile now after using on at a friends motorcycle shop, tolerances were tight and you can do a lot. They are always offering free tooling with them....
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

3 in 0nes look good on paper but thier use fullness is easily outgrown.
eack of the 3 functions are very limited.
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
NYWELDERJim

Thanks guys for the replies and the great advice. I am in no real rush to buy something other than wanting to make progress on expanding the capabilities of my shop. Every year at this time I mentor/support a high school robtics team. I make parts for the team with my limited capabilities so the addition of a lathe and mill will go along way towards giving them better support. I'll invest time into locating used equipment vendors in my region. I have no problem driving a few hundred miles to pickup the right machine at the right price. I agree with your opinion on the "3 in 1" machines. I am cramped for space but have enough for a small lathe and mini mill. I was just on the smity website, their machines look like they fit my needs very well. Many Thanks!

Jim
Arizona SA200

If you are going to teach these student I honestly believe they should learn on an old machine. A true machinist knows how to use something with out a DRO. They need to learn how to use dial calipers and micrometers on older equipment. If they get a job using the new fancy stuff then great but they will have a better understanding of what they are doing. This is just my opinion.