General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
werthy1
    Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:33 am

I was told several years ago by someone you cant weld on top of mig weld with stick weld any validity to this?
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

I have used a 7018 turned up high to fix a weld that broke. It was mig welded and just needed to stick together and I didn't take time to grind the mig weld out and it welded just fine. I don't know if that was the "right" thing to do. I always try to grind old junk out but this was the case where two pieces of metal needed to stick together, not load baring or critical, just a tool box on a tractor fender that got knocked off in an accident.
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt
Arizona SA200
    Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:28 pm

If you are referring to a situation like the previous post the weld really should be ground off but in a quick fix im not apposed to what he did. If you are referring to something like a combo weld (ER20S2 tig root and hot pass and 7018 fill and cap) i have never seen it and if i did i would question why. Please clarify your question a bit more so i can understand what exactly you are looking to answer.
I stack dimes for a living so i can stack dollars for a paycheck.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

"Stick over MIG" is not an issue in a non-code weld, and (with prep) may not be an issue where a code applies.

Grind out as much as practical, and burn it in.

TIG over "whatever" is where the problems surface...

Steve S
Arizona SA200
    Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:28 pm

I agree Steve.
I stack dimes for a living so i can stack dollars for a paycheck.