General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
gundog
    Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:00 pm

Is there a fume extractor that is affordable for a home shop. Has anyone made a fume extractor? Looking to find something to help with smoke in my small 900 foot shop.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from ... 1&_ipg=200

Have a look here, this will give you a idea of where to start.

Mick
gundog

Thanks mike I did check out ebay. I was hoping for a diy or a cheap version. I just do not understand why they are so much money.
RichardH
    Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:45 pm

Check out this thread:
http://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.com/v ... =20#p26693

Instead of worrying about filtering and recirculating the fumes, how about just venting them outside?

Cheers,
Richard
Grinding discs... still my #1 consumable!
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Gundog,
I am putting pieces together to make a fume extractor that will simply vent outside
I started a thread in the metal cutting section and will be posting progress there. I also will be building a down draft table, when I get some free time set aside.
I do not feel that you would spend a whole lot of money if you have the skills to make one and don't need the fancies that come on the real ones.
Below us a fan that I think I will use in the hood.
-Jonathan
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (49.99 KiB) Viewed 896 times
gundog

My spidy senses are tingling. I was thinking along the same way. Not really sure about venting outside in the 40 below winter temps. Air recovery in the shop might be a issue. Your fan and some heap filters a little r&d presto one filter air sucker. I will have to put my thinking cap on trouble is no time. still would like to find a taylor made one but will fab if needed.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

Its a sellers market i suppose. lol. You can buy a fan that has spring loaded shutters on it so when its not in use they snap shut. Common it bathrooms.

Mick
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Gundog
If you are wanting to purchase a kit, give me a week and will have one drawn up ready to sell :D
-Jonathan
power
    Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:13 pm

Gundog, Here is a little fan I put together for small jobs in the shop so I didn't have to fire up the large exhaust fan in the shop. Bathroom fan, screen, light switch, used 3in hd dryer vent hose about 20ft long works good. I just put it together to help when the temp was -30 so not to lose much heat.
Attachments
253.jpg
253.jpg (30.86 KiB) Viewed 855 times
252.jpg
252.jpg (35.07 KiB) Viewed 855 times
gundog

Power do you think a house filter one of the good ones would cut down on smoke in the shop. I was thinking of something like you have then filter it to help out.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

A HEPA filter will do great at eliminating "smoke" (particulates), but not "fumes", like metal vapors and excess levels of inert gasses. The best path to eliminating the hazards is to vent outside. For that - 40* make-up air, I'd use the same path for exhaust, through a heat-exchanger. There are products made for this purpose to recover heat lost up the flue of furnaces and water heaters into the make-up air that could be adapted to a fume extractor.

Steve S