General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Greg From K/W
    Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:55 pm

I have a line on this welder. Guy is asking $250 CND for it. Its a 220 plug with about 13 amp required to run it. It needs a new whip for it. Does anyone have any info on these? I am going to do some research on it. Just not sure its going to be worth it in the long run if parts are not available for it. its on Kijiji in my area and I am going ot flag it to follow till I can see what info I can find.
Greg From K/W

Ok so ESAB is viable here in Canada. I found their site and it does appear that I would be able to get parts and stuff for it. Would it be worth it for $250?

Here is their page for it.

http://www.esab.ca/ca/en/products_catal ... uct_ID=804

It has a spec tab. Please give me your thoughts on it fellas. Second thought it appears that page is for the whip only. Plus other parts it needs not for the machine. I may say forget it.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Here's what they look like...
I'd give $200 for it....
See if he bites...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ESAB-Smashwel ... 1016302888

Just my 2 cents(if its even worth that)

~John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Greg From K/W

Thats kind of what Im thinking. Kind of an industrial model. The extra $50 would help pay for the new whip.

$200 aint much...

I'd go for it if I were you.

Again, $00.2

~John

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Greg From K/W

I told him I would call to go over this afternoon. I am thinking I will go for it. Only thing that will prevent me buying it is if I plug it in and it won't hum. Then its not worth it.

Is their anyway you could try the welder out???
Is there a plug on the welder???

~John

ps. SmashWeld is a pretty weird name for a welder :lol: IMO of course....

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Greg From K/W

There is a plug. I bought it and its all happy in the shop. He said it have a new diode installed a couple years ago? He plugged it in and the feeder rollers worked good but the liner was out. So I couldn't run any wire through it. Seamed nice and quiet its actually smaller than I thought it would be. Its made in Sweden and came with the manual a bunch of extra tips and nozzles. He even gave me a spool of wire and a half a container of spatter dip.

Just need to get the shield liner for the whip and a canister of co2 or argon. Have to read the manual over. Wouldn't budge off 250. I guess he had another guy tell he in an email Want your welder. I can imagine. It looks like a real solid machine. Just needs to be cleaned up to take some of the crap off it.

The manufacturer is ESAB Smashweld is their line of mig welders. It has a spot mode and continual feed mode. Kind of a waste of time IMHO. I think its going to be a great little welder.

I think you got a deal. ;)
Get us some pics up of her and the welds she makes.

~John

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Greg From K/W

I know I did the 200 version sells for over $1000. So yes I got a good deal. I need to get a new whip liner and a tank of gas. Need to wait a bit for that. When I have it I will get some pics. First it will need some elbow grease to get the dirt and filth off of it.

good luck. :D

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Greg From K/W

Ha ha ya the one up from it is a 200 and is a lot smaller newer design. About the same size as a lincoln box you would get at home depot. There is an authorised dealer here in town. I put a call in for prices for a new whip and liner will see what they can do. He told me they can send the old one out to be reconditioned and make sure the gas flows good in it.

They have reasonable rates and the smaller bottles too.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

I personally think you can't go wrong, especially with the purchase price. I bought a old Linde machine for $250 that lasted for a year before the capacitors blew up and I sold it to a friend who put new parts in it and is still using it today. Even if you only get a year out of it, that's only $20.83 a month!!
-Jonathan
Greg From K/W

I agree. If anything does go wrong I will get it repaired. It looks solid other than the dirt and grim. Looking forward to getting the parts it needs and a tank for it.

Can't wait to see the pics.

~John :D

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Greg From K/W

Ok so I think I figured out what has happened to this welder. The wire that is on it looked really small to me. I mean almost half the size of the wire I am used to. I think its actually .023.

I'm wondering if they used the proper sized liner in the whip. I looked way to big from what I know about the liners. It looks to me like it was a liner for a .030 at least.

My suspicion is that they didn't put the proper shield size in and it bunched up inside. That is why they could not get the wire to go through any more. I am waiting for a call from a supplier for pricing on the shields and a new whip for it. I will see what I can do about it.