General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

My Cupcake wants me to teach her how to weld, I figure mig would be the easiest to learn and least frustrating for her and I want to buy her a mig welder if she likes it. All that I have ever used are Millermatics, which is way more than what she would ever need, so I want to find a good, reliable small mig for her. The most she would ever use it for is some 1/8th wire for garden sculptures or maybe some sheet metal projects. I'd like it if it could switch from gas to fluxcore, too....maybe a spoolgun (?) or a spotting feature(?), but I know that's getting into larger size units.

Would those little Lincoln migs that they sell at Lowes or Home Depot be reliable enough for her? Or I'm thinking maybe the same size welder in the Craftsman line from Sears. I don't want anything from Harbor Freight.

Thanks!
Other Steve
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
rake
    Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:19 pm

Check out the Hobarts at TSC and Northern tool
RichardH
    Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:45 pm

I think the retail models would suit just fine. The Lincoln models are the same between HD and Lowes, just branded differently. If you get a MIG version, you can use flux core in it, but not vice versa.

The upper-end units are 230v, which will be really impractical for a lightweight user. The very low-end units won't take a spool gun, so watch for that.

Lincoln sells a spot timer add-on for some models. I would think around 140A would suit casual use - it'll do MIG, spool gun, and 120V. 180A is the upper end you'll find retail, but it's 230V.

As an example, the difference between a retail and an industrial 180A Lincoln machine is the use of plastic parts in the wire feed vs. metal. The retail version is nearly 50% the price, and you should expect the duty cycle and ruggedness to be lower.

You'll frequently find them on Craigslist, even new in box. Likewise on the spool gun, which is less common; I picked one up for $75 recently, while they're $200 new and I think the newest model is over $300!

Edit: Also... Home Depot frequently has these welders in their clearance area because guys will use them for one project and return them to the store. If you're cool with open box items, talk to the manager of the tool area - they'll call you when they get one and cut you a deal to take it off their hands.

FWIW,
Richard
Grinding discs... still my #1 consumable!
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

My first welder was the Hobart Handler 140. It is a great little machine I have no complaints at all about it. It runs off of 110 and you can run flux core or gas. It has a good smooth arc and easy to use right out of the box. It even comes with some wire to start right out of the box. If you jump up to the Handler 210 it is a dual voltage machine and has spool gun capabilities. The Handler 190 also is spool gun capable but is only a 220v machine. I like the fact that it has the chart inside the door to help set it up and it is dead on with the settings. The fact that it has the rigid position volt settings makes it easier for beginners.

As far as the lincolns, I have ran their small migs and I highly recommend the Hobart machines or the Miller machines. My high school bought a brand new lincoln and it took us 3 spools of wire to get the thing to start running right and it still didn't run good. I would not buy a small lincoln machine especially if you are trying to avoid head aches and hassle. I don't mind their big migs or other machines but I have never had any luck with the small migs I ran of theirs.

If you want a great machine I would go with Hobart, if you want an amazing machine go with the Miller small migs. I have ran both machines and would recommend them to anyone. Miller has the auto set feature that you just turn it to the metal thickness and size of wire and the volts and wire feed speed are automatically set. It is a great feature. Like I said I love my Hobart and I really like the Millers but would shy away from the Lincoln.
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

I second the Hobart Migs.... I had a new 190 for a while, and that welder was amazing!!!
I currently have a Hobart Handler 135(old), and she's tougher than a $2 steak...
Those Hobart's have beefier drive rollers, than Lincolns and Millers IMO of course(I've used a handful)....
Hobarts, just have a great arc, better than Millers....
Go look for a HH140 for 115 use, or a HH 190 if you want 220, or, the best of both worlds the HH 210mvp!!!!

2cents,
~John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

Thanks!!!

I went down to TSC yesterday and looked at the Hobart's. I think I'm gonna go with the 190. It's more than she would need right now, but she can grow into it. And who knows, if things go well, there might be a little Millermatic in our future! :D

Other Steve
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
MCE
  • MCE
    Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:50 pm

delraydella wrote:Thanks!!!

I went down to TSC yesterday and looked at the Hobart's. I think I'm gonna go with the 190. It's more than she would need right now, but she can grow into it. And who knows, if things go well, there might be a little Millermatic in our future! :D

Other Steve
You should just get the Millermatic to start with. Why buy it twice?