General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

I received a new welding helmet as part of a promotion thru Thermal Arc. If I recall correctly this helmet has 4 light sensors. when welding mig and stick the helmet works fine......tig not so much. When welding tig sometimes the shading will go on and off.........this happens even at 100-125 amps. The lens are clean. This helmet has no batteries.

What is going on here I believe is that the helmet just won't sense the tig arc............maybe a POS helmet???
    Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:22 am

From what I've heard it's more about the quality of the sensor vs the quantity. One thing you can do is increase the delay.

I've seen a few videos where folks claim the delay setting slows down the rate that the hood goes dark. This is wrong. The delay sets the time it takes from the hood loosing contact with the arc to where it goes back to light state. So the unadvertised benefit of the delay setting is that it can compensate to an extent momentary interuptions in the sensors.
Nick
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Is the sensitivity adjustable??? usually there's one on most AD helmet.
Hope this helps,
~John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
nightscale
    Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:21 pm

You could try turning the sensitivity up if you can. This helped on mine

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

My Miller does the same thing just crank up the sensitivity like the others said and you will be fine. I just got use to turning the sensitivity up when I prepare to tig and never deal with it.
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt
Arizona SA200
    Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:28 pm

Make and model of the hood will help answer some of the questions.
I stack dimes for a living so i can stack dollars for a paycheck.