General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Zach_T
    Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:48 am

I have some questions about engine drive welders.
I am looking into buying used but just don't know which way to go ill be doing mostly farm work fence repair or fabrication and maybe some repairs , but nothing heavy duty just yet I've used a lincoln ranger 250gxt and I liked that alot just the way it welds but am not sure about miller or if I should consider an old SA200 anybody have any insights or personal expierences or preferences and why you prefer them??
Thanks
Zach
If ya ain't burnin ya ain't earnin
Zach_T

I am also 17 and still in high school if that makes any difference
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

The only difference is mostly at that age your budget is somewhat limited ! I think it makes a difference how many hours say a week you plan on welding & what sort of thickness material you will encounter - if welding is only part of your planned work & not too thick then nearly any gas powered unit will suffice as your first machine - you may even want to look at that combined air compressor / welder that guys on here found to funny - it is well suited to occasional farm repair work giving you welding / mains power & air - or retro-fit a welding alternator on your truck is an option - but if you expect to put many hours in then maybe try & find a deal on a diesel Ranger or trailblazer - some would say start with what you can afford & if the jobs come in buy better - others will say buy the best at the start & don't have to keep upgrading - I'm sure you'll get plenty of opinion - but a little more detail on your budget & expected use will help others give good advice.
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-Engine ... 4d1adf5627
I found this thing on ebay a couple weeks ago. I actually thought about getting one to mount on the tractor for situations like what you described. I do not know anything about this device. I cannot speak for how good it is, but if it works good I say it would be a good option for farm work. Go to "general shop talk" thread and look at the post titled "Gem I found today" that I posted a while back. You will find the air compressor welder thing that was mentioned above and links for it.
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt
tradetek
    Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:05 pm

Doesn't "factory direct" usually mean "not good enough to sell in stores"... ? :roll:
Lincoln Electric v155s with TIG pack (lift start)
Lincoln Electic Viking 3350 Helmet

One father's love for his autistic son... http://www.inmyimage.com
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Buy in on a running SA200 is steep, even for older welders. :lol:
-Jonathan
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

I'll sell you my SA300.
Been sitting for 30years. :lol:
IMG_1341.JPG
IMG_1341.JPG (113.92 KiB) Viewed 760 times
IMG_1342.JPG
IMG_1342.JPG (113.13 KiB) Viewed 760 times
Just kidding, just had to show you.
I think the engine is seized...

But,
That was no help,
I would look for a Bobcat or Ranger.
Used them both, best middle range machines.

Craigslist. :arrow:

Everyday.

~John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Zach_T

AKweldshop wrote:I'll sell you my SA300.
Been sitting for 30years. :lol:
IMG_1341.JPG
IMG_1342.JPG
Just kidding, just had to show you.
I think the engine is seized...

But,
That was no help,
I would look for a Bobcat or Ranger.
Used them both, best middle range machines.

Craigslist. :arrow:

Everyday.

~John
Haha thanks John
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

I see them all the time for $1500, you cant beat that...

Just saying,

~John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Arizona SA200
    Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:28 pm

I got a Ranger 250G as my first machine and it worked great for the stuff i used it for at the time. I have a 305G now and looking to sell it. It is a good machine just not the right machine for the work I am getting in to. I have the sa200 for that. The benefits to the Rangers and TrailBlazers is the AC power output. You can run a lot off of them.
I stack dimes for a living so i can stack dollars for a paycheck.