General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
newschoppafowah
    Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:54 pm

I've got a medium gas lens, but wanted a cup larger than an 8. This proved harder to find than I initially expected. Still unclear if they even exist, or if my two LWSs are staffed by relative incompetents (both may be true) :lol:

Due to my lack of desire to wait for parts to come into my preferred LWS, and the knowledge that half the part numbers in the prostar catalog are wrong anyway, meaning the part you waited for will not actually be that part after all, I came up with this.

Two stubby no.11 cups JBwelded together with scotch brite at the outlet to help keep things flowing well. Bumped the CFH up to 20 and solved my medium lens cup compatibility problem.

Freeing me up to address another problem which I'll start a thread on over in TIG. Anyhow, here it is.

Everything I did with it today was at 70 amps and short bursts, so I didn't get a chance to put it through high amperage hell or anything, but for the time being it looks like an easy way to put off the 30 dollar purchase of a large lens. :D
Attachments
IMG_1003.JPG
IMG_1003.JPG (30.18 KiB) Viewed 694 times
IMG_1001.JPG
IMG_1001.JPG (29.38 KiB) Viewed 694 times
Sent from an earthen ditch outside Needles, CA using an awful lot of low voltage single strand wire.

It's a matter of flour and water and then there's the seasonings, which is a matter of salt and so forth and then you h-we interrupt this for the announc
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Looks good, let us know how it holds up.

~John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
tradetek
    Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:05 pm

You might want to rethink getting a real gas lens and proper lens cup because it will pay for itself the first time you refill your argon cylinder.

Running 70 amps, I only need about 10-12 CFH with a #6 cup and standard gas lens on my PTA-17v torch.

Also, it seems like your "screen" should be farther back in the cup so that the gas flow pattern can take the shape of the cup outlet. I'd be surprised if you don't have a gas dispersion similar to a standard collet with the screen right at the end of the cup.

Bill
Novice welder so my 2 cents is probably only worth 2 cents... ;)
Lincoln Electric v155s with TIG pack (lift start)
Lincoln Electic Viking 3350 Helmet

One father's love for his autistic son... http://www.inmyimage.com
newschoppafowah
    Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:54 pm

John,

Put her through a bit more of a workout today, she's holding up well. I'm going to do some 6061 tubing stuff this week with a 3/32 around 120A, should get a better idea about JBweld's ability to stick to ceramics. :)
Sent from an earthen ditch outside Needles, CA using an awful lot of low voltage single strand wire.

It's a matter of flour and water and then there's the seasonings, which is a matter of salt and so forth and then you h-we interrupt this for the announc