General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
WeldItWill
    Tue May 28, 2013 11:39 pm

Hi, so I plan on doing some more heavier duty "call out" work while I'm in college. I already have all the hand tools and grinders and such. I have a small 120v inverter stick welder however, I'm looking to upgrade. I've been eyeing the Maxstar 150 STL as well as the Multimatic 200. Would it be better to get one of those amd a generator to run them or, get a gas/diesel drive welder? Any suggestions?
    Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:22 am

The multimatic will give you the most versatility as it'll do mig stick and dc tig. Engine drive machines are great but the price tag jumps alot and you have to buy a wire feeder for mig and an hf unit unless you're fine with scratch start. If you mention aluminum add 1k to the price tag. If you want diesel that's gonna add on about 5k.

Is stick the only capability you want? What types of projects/materials are you looking at workin on?
Nick
James101322
    Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:22 pm

Depending on how heavy of a weld you are wanting to run if you have the funds available thru a student loans or other sources a diesel is really great for carrying the load. Just be careful not to do like I did and end up with a large loan hanging over your head. Financial pressure can put undo pressure on one and cloud judgment calls and inadvertently distract your chain of thought.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

The Miller maxstar 200 sd, or str, are solid machines, they run on 115, 220, and 3ph.

But, hard to beat a bobcat or ranger....

Whats your budget???

~John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
WeldItWill

I'd like to have at least stick and DC tig capabilities, but I have come across things where a mig would be perfect for that particular project. I think that's what pulled me towards the Multimatic, the MIG option that is. I work almost exclusively with mild steel constantly. I have had to turn a few people down for needing some stainless done because I have no tig setup. I weld aluminum at school all the time, I love it, but it isn't something I 'need'.
WeldItWill

AKweldshop, I'd like to keep it all under about $2,000. I haven't looked at the Maxstar 200, I'll have to give it a gander.
WeldItWill

Well, maybe $2,500 or so.
    Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:22 am

http://store.cyberweld.com/tharcfa21miw.html

Look at these at all? It'll do everything the multimatic will for about 600 less.
Nick
Zach_T
    Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:48 am

AFSATCOM wrote:http://store.cyberweld.com/tharcfa21miw.html

Look at these at all? It'll do everything the multimatic will for about 600 less.
I have the tweco 181i which is the unit just under this one if your working on steel this machine is perfect very easy to set up and change has the quick connect leads decent leads (wouldn't mind investing in some longer ones for stick an tig) but other than that it's a hell of a machine!
If ya ain't burnin ya ain't earnin
Wes917
    Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 pm

Don't forget insurance
Arizona SA200
    Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:28 pm

When you say "call out" work, that to me means portable. Portable to me means engine drive.
I stack dimes for a living so i can stack dollars for a paycheck.

Upon re-read, I see the OP's saying he wants to know whether he should get a generator and a miller inverter, or a
Engine drive.

I see it better to get a engine drive... Less logistics.

I've seen Bobcats and Rangers, With leads up here for $1000-$1500.

I would keep your eyes open for deals that come around....

~John

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
WeldItWill

Don't get me wrong, AFSATCOM, I've heard great things about the Fabricator and Thermal Arc in general. Personally, I'm a Miller man. I've used this and that at my dad's place of business just making small repairs and odd jobs but none have stood out above the Miller's that I've used. The Bobcat 250 and the Thunderbolt as well as the XMT or Dynasty 250/300. But that's just my opinion. To me its worth a bit of extra money for quality products and tools. Certain things have their place as far as cheap tools but anyway. Thank you for the suggestion however!
WeldItWill

AKweldshop, I've since seen a few decently priced Bobcats on CL. I've began to give CL a bit more looking than I normally do for my area.

CL, or find something good on eBay.

2cents.

~John (bought and sold more welders than I can remember)

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Wes917
    Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 pm

WeldItWill wrote:AKweldshop, I've since seen a few decently priced Bobcats on CL. I've began to give CL a bit more looking than I normally do for my area.

I have scored some great tools off cl. I've been watching for a mill and lathe for a bit now. Lots of deals but you have to be quick.

Quick!!!

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
tradetek
    Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:05 pm

Just a quick experience heads up on Craigslist... I recently sold a big dog crate and the first person to contact me refused to meet me in a public parking lot. Given that I was only asking $50 for it, I'd be really careful if I was expecting any real money to change hands.

Grocery store parking lots are nice and busy and easy to get to, so stay safe.

Bill
Lincoln Electric v155s with TIG pack (lift start)
Lincoln Electic Viking 3350 Helmet

One father's love for his autistic son... http://www.inmyimage.com
    Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:14 pm

CL is a crapshoot lately for sure. I bought a new commercial mower last fall and waited until recently to sell the old horse. Thought it would be a better sell on CL. Boy what a run around with the no shows and just plain tire kickin' jacklegs. Finally got one guy that showed up with cash, truck ,trailer and a deal was struck. All the while my 1911 was nested in a bush nearby. You just never know anymore. No more sells from my house again...would rather donate than go through wasting all that time again. :!:
Building an airplane is at times somewhat like a divorce.....with the exception that she doesn't leave
J.J. Flash
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

We have had a couple cases here recently of people being killed meeting someone off of CL. I don't even look at it because of that. I hate meeting customers to deliver a product to them. I am just very cautious. I will also say this, if you are doing call out work it would not hurt to invest in a handgun and conceal carry permit if allowed in your area. I worked oil and gas and every time I worked with the well tender we had a handgun in the truck loaded and ready. There would be people pumping oil out of the tanks and selling it or just general creeps wanting to take what ever tools they could get out of the truck. It would be so easy for someone to call out a welder and get you in a remote area and knock you in the back of the head and take your tools. I don't trust people. That is why I would recommend only working for individuals you know or for a business.
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt