General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:14 pm

I have the chance at a position with a local company to weld stainless. Small tube fittings and railing. I am a bit reserved about taking it in fear of all I have read on hexavalent chromium. There are no fume extraction equipment. Is this a real problem? It seems OSHA takes it for a real problem. I know that if I take the job it will give me a chance to get some real hood time....and hopefully becoming a better welder. Pay not that great ....but I get to weld! Been on the hunt for a couple weeks now as the place I am at now is giving me the stiff upper lip business. Hate it after 10 years...but that is the way it goes I guess. Any help much appreciated. I like living healthy pretty good. :arrow:
Building an airplane is at times somewhat like a divorce.....with the exception that she doesn't leave
J.J. Flash
coldman
  • coldman

I would invest in a Speedglas 9100XXAir type or equivalent welding shield with filtered air supply for complete protection and take the job. Maybe if things work out your employer might help you with the cost of it. But you will have a job and protect your own health even if your boss won't.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Hex-Chrome is not impossible as a welding fume product (read the MSDS on a box of 308 rod), but the risk is extremely small. Hex-chrome is most easily formed through chemical processes, not "heat in the presence of inert gas".

Good for you for looking out, but consider this...
Stainless steels have been welded for more than 50 years with all common processes, and nobody's suing anybody about fume exposure. If there were a measurable risk, the ambulance chasers would be all over it.

No harm protecting yourself with ventilation or a filtered hood as was suggested.

Steve S
nightscale
    Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:21 pm

I'm more worried about ally or gav then ss

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk