General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
DUNN96
    Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:41 am

Hey everyone, I have been looking on this forum for a while now and I finally signed up :D
I have had a bit of a look around and haven't found heaps on this subject. What I would like to know is what you guys cut you aluminium shs and rhs with? I am needing to make some frames and i'm not really set up for cutting aluminium at home. Would a mitre saw with an aluminium blade be a good option? I would love a brobo saw or even a band saw but they're just a bit too expensive right now.

Thanks in advance
cheers from Aus
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey cob, welcome to the show.

You are on the right track with the mitre saw. If your material isnt that thick or big, you can get away with the wood blade, then step up to a metal cutting "dry" blade. Also you can get a dry lube block that is rubbed on the blade to make things go better.

Mick

Ps what part of aus? Im in bendigo vic.
paul_s
    Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:04 pm

Welcome to the forum.
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

I use an abrasive cut off saw for bar stock, a cordless 5" power hand saw with aluminum cutting blade for sheet.
DUNN96

thanks everyone for the welcome, good to know i'm on the right track. Any sort of blade you guys recommend?
Mike i'm in Rylstone NSW (Near Mudgee?), I'm a second year apprentice for a local engineering business.

cheers
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

You can cut Aluminum with just about any carbide tipped wood blade in a circular saw or miter saw. On SHS you're better off if you can clamp it in it's diamond edge.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len

Nice country up that way I hear. My uncle and aunt spent time managing a caravan park at Muswellbrook. Do you have plenty of work on? And are you on Facebook?

Mick
Antorcha
    Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:57 am

Pretend aluminum is a hardwood. Watch out for the chips !
Dry is better. A little slower rpm(if you can) makes managing the flying chips easier.
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Yes, the chips are hot and they seem to stick where they land, usually on your cheek or eyelids.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
DUNN96

Thanks for all the replies, I guess all that's left to do is cut some aluminium :D
yeah Mike very nice country up here, plenty on at work. More than enough to keep busy haha. Yeah I've got facebook mate, have you got a page setup?

cheers

Yeah mate, im an admin for the awesome boileys page. Fun page with a crazy side. I like this forum for the informative, laid back crew, and facebook for fast paced give and take.
DUNN96

The awesome boileys page is great, some really cool stuff one there :D

Glad you like it. Ben started it, Brendan and Bryan ran it for a while , then I came on the scene, kept her going for while, whilst moderating here, now we've got a good crew back together.

On a side note (lol) hows your ali going?

Mick
TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

Use a dedicated carbide blade for aluminum.

I have had this blade for over a year and I cut aluminum with it every day. Don't need to put anything on this one. Just clean the gullets every few months or so.

Freud D1296N Diablo 12-Inch 96 Tooth TCG Non-Ferrous Metal and Plastic Cutting Miter Saw Blade with 1-Inch Arbor

Smooth as silk.
Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.