General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

AKweldshop wrote:It sneaks up on us, don't it?? ;)
It does.

Just like my vision loss. One week, I did the Sunday crossword. The next week, I couldn't read the clues, and had to borrow my brother's reading glasses.

Steve S
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Steve,
Once again very nice! That piping looks fun. I think you are just being modest and humble on your welds, I have yet to find something that is wrong.
-Jonathan

Superiorwelding wrote:Steve,
Once again very nice! That piping looks fun. I think you are just being modest and humble on your welds, I have yet to find something that is wrong.
-Jonathan
Thanks, Jonathan,

I've always been my own worst critic, driving myself to do better next time. I am seeing, though, that as my eyesight worsens and my hand-eye coordination decreases, I don't make those "watchband" caps anymore. I can forgive myself that, as long as the root goes in solid and the cap isn't undercut. I'm pleased I can still do both in a mirror.

Yes, I find it a great deal of fun, since I fit my own welds. It's a test, to fit two different diameter pipes on a common centerline, then fit all this to the existing (previously cut out and re-welded) piping and have it meet. While waiting on the insulation, I fit the last 90, cut as a clamshell. I cut the existing jacket on the trailer where it "should" fit, and only had about 15 minutes of fine-tuning with the grinder to make it sit right.

The ells keep a common centerline by using a standard radius on the inner, and short-radius on the outer. This work perfectly for a 2" inner with 4" outer, and 1 1/2" inner with 3" outer. The math should scale up through any standard pipe schedule.

Steve S
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

You know your old school when you call your 90's ells :)
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?

kermdawg wrote:You know your old school when you call your 90's ells :)
"Like" :lol:

Yeah, I guess I don't hear that very often anymore. I've also done some plumbing, screw-pipe, and conduit, so I know "sweep" ells, "sanitary" ells, and "pressure" ells.

BTW, that high-pressure hydrogen valve that has to be x-rayed? They're coming Saturday, so I get overtime to baby-sit them. I'll show them what's what, and go f#$k off for three hours or so.

Steve S
kermdawg

Otto Nobedder wrote:
BTW, that high-pressure hydrogen valve that has to be x-rayed? They're coming Saturday, so I get overtime to baby-sit them. I'll show them what's what, and go f#$k off for three hours or so.

Steve S
No you wont. If your like the rest of us you'll bring in a project you've been trying to work on at the house but the old lady keeps riding your A$$ so you aint got time to get it done, so you bring it in to work and work on that S*** during your lunch break.

Sound familier?!?!

kermdawg wrote:
Otto Nobedder wrote:

Steve S
No you wont. If your like the rest of us you'll bring in a project you've been trying to work on at the house but the old lady keeps riding your A$$ so you aint got time to get it done, so you bring it in to work and work on that S*** during your lunch break.

Sound familier?!?!
I consider installing the new radiator in my truck to "be" F$%King off... :lol:
kermdawg

It's not F****ing off if your getting paid for it :) LOL
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

A quick side note, here in Aus a home job in work hours is called a foreigner, or foreign job,

Mick

Well Steve how did it go?
-Jonathan

The radiator is installed and pressure tested. Also changed the leaking power-steering line.

Oh, and the x-rays are a "pass".

I know, I know... but I'm always going to be my own worst critic. When it really counts, and the rework is extremely expensive, I'm going to be nervous.

This kills me, because I've mastered stress in my life. I rarely feel it, and when my work puts it on me I rebel!

Even my wife noticed I was "bitchy" for the past week.

Life is better today... The x-ray crew found out I do helium leak testing and dye-penetrant, and were trying to hire me!

Steve S

Otto Nobedder wrote: Life is better today... The x-ray crew found out I do helium leak testing and dye-penetrant, and were trying to hire me!

Steve S
It never hurts to entertain a offer......
-Jonathan

Would you take a job with them?

No doubt it means going on the road again?

weldin mike 27 wrote:Would you take a job with them?

No doubt it means going on the road again?
Not at present. They put you in a company truck...

I haven't had a driver licence in about ten years... :twisted:

Steve S

As in truck or are you a good ol' boy without the need for a dang government bit of paper to drive?
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Do you just drive your chopper then???
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024

weldin mike 27 wrote:As in truck or are you a good ol' boy without the need for a dang government bit of paper to drive?
Don't need no stinking travel papers... This ain't Nazi Germany (yet...)

Got revoked 10 years ago in Missouri, becuase some jackass redneck who was hammered-drunk and too lazy to fix his brake lights stopped at a green light. Because I hit him form behind, it was "my fault" regardless of the circumstances. I, too, had been drinking, enough to be charged with DUI.

I've never bothered fixing this "problem", as with no driver lisence, I have no "driving record", so I don't really see it as a problem. I was in a little fender-bender two years ago, and got a ticket for $195, and no mark on my non-existent driving record. Call it a little "freedom fee".

They cannot prosecute you criminally for not having a driver lisence. They can only fine you administratively.

Steve S
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Nice!
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
kermdawg

oh some of the great things i've learned from Otto. Thats gonna save me my 15$ renewal fee every 5 years!!!

kermdawg wrote:oh some of the great things i've learned from Otto. Thats gonna save me my 15$ renewal fee every 5 years!!!
LMAO!!!

I'm not making a recommendation... Just stating my situation.

(Hey, that rhymes!)

Steve S
JDIGGS82
    Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:46 pm

poet and didnt even know it lol
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

He'd probably rhyme if he had the time!
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:
I've never bothered fixing this "problem", as with no driver lisence, I have no "driving record", so I don't really see it as a problem. I was in a little fender-bender two years ago, and got a ticket for $195, and no mark on my non-existent driving record. Call it a little "freedom fee".

They cannot prosecute you criminally for not having a driver lisence. They can only fine you administratively.

Steve S
An interesting way to look at it - just a $fine and a little hassle....no wonder a lot of people here just never go get one again.
...And no mark on the "driving record" :)

Hmmm.....would cost me too much though, I get pulled over 4-5 times a year :evil:
That would be a lot of $fines.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.