General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

EEEEEWWWWWW!!!!!!
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

Superiorwelding wrote:
Otto Nobedder wrote:I mis-communicated a bit... I did stay eight hours. And got eight hours of work done. However, I got that eight hours of work done in about five, allowing time for the other stuff I fit in...
:lol:

Steve S
Oh well then it never hurts to get paid to do things for yourself/stuff you wanted done. :D
-Jonathan
I loved the one place I worked, I got 4 hours of overtime in almost every night just by sitting around and shooting the breeze with my boss and his family and be his DD. :D I enjoyed that 20 hours of time and a half a week. He always had me do it because he liked the way I drove when he was drunk. :lol:
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

-Jonathan
Last edited by Superiorwelding on Mon May 19, 2014 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JDIGGS82
    Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:46 pm

That sounds like it'd be fun to try a 6g although I'd have to mig it all the way as my tig or stick skills wouldn't suffice my stick would be atrocious right about now lol my mig might not be much better in that position lol
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:The x-ray truck shows up tomorrow at 8AM.

I get to take 8 hrs. overtime just to be there for it.

I'd better damn pass....

Steve S
Tomorrow morning, I'm going through the 9600 PSI pressure test (and switch setting) with the engineers. Today I set up all the blinds and the test safety-relief. In the morning, I'll be setting up the high-pressure pump, the nitrogen supply for the pump, and a 6000 PSI nitrogen bottle for the initial pressurization.

I do "hydro-testing" (pneumpatic ASME retest, not actually hydro) all the time, but this pressure level will be a first, and by a wide margin.

Should be an experience. I get to work with an engineer I've not worked with in a few years, who's company I enjoy.

Steve S
JDIGGS82

Blasphemy an enjoyable engineer! Just kidding

JDIGGS82 wrote:Blasphemy an enjoyable engineer! Just kidding
They are like hens teeth :lol:
JK
-Jonathan
JDIGGS82

I had to deal with several when I was turning wrenches at a dealership nissan to be exact it was terrible

Otto Nobedder wrote:
Otto Nobedder wrote:The x-ray truck shows up tomorrow at 8AM.

I get to take 8 hrs. overtime just to be there for it.

I'd better damn pass....

Steve S
Tomorrow morning, I'm going through the 9600 PSI pressure test (and switch setting) with the engineers. Today I set up all the blinds and the test safety-relief. In the morning, I'll be setting up the high-pressure pump, the nitrogen supply for the pump, and a 6000 PSI nitrogen bottle for the initial pressurization.

I do "hydro-testing" (pneumpatic ASME retest, not actually hydro) all the time, but this pressure level will be a first, and by a wide margin.

Should be an experience. I get to work with an engineer I've not worked with in a few years, who's company I enjoy.

Steve S
Steve,
The best of luck to you. If you can, would you document and take pictures of how you do your test tomorrow. I would like to know the details if you can share them or have the time.
I know I would be nervous testing at that pressure. I might (but doubt) get to TIG weld 2" pipe that will see 2000psi working pressure and I am looking forward to it.
-Jonathan

Jonathan,

I had no opportunity to photograph today, as the boss was too curious. However, on this go, we only went to 8400 to set a pair of control switches, and the main reason I was involved, apparently, is I'll be doing the full pressurization on my own, AFTER a line is replaced whose pressure rating is too low for the system. The pump discharge line is rated for 7850 psi, as I recall, making 8400 to over-pressure test limit. This line will be replaced (by me) with a 3/4" line with the 10 kpsi rating, and THEN we'll go to full pressure. I worked with the engineers today so I know the weak points in the system, what to watch for, and what risks to mitigate. No one was surprised that I didn't take notes, it was pretty straightforward and logical to me.

Seems our gas-booster pump is rated for 9kpsi, so I'm not sure how they intend to go 9600... unless they plan to over-pressure it. We'll see what the final word is.

On the plus side, they'll keep everyone away during the pressure test, and I should be able to shoot pics at will.

One benefit to working with engineers... We were set up outside for everyone's safety... in the blazing sun. They ran to home depot and bought a tarp and rope to build a sun shade! :D

Steve S
JDIGGS82

I got some tig practice in today not a good day I was trying to walk the cup but after trying it appears I was drunkenly stumbling the cup lmao

Otto Nobedder wrote:Jonathan,

I had no opportunity to photograph today, as the boss was too curious. However, on this go, we only went to 8400 to set a pair of control switches, and the main reason I was involved, apparently, is I'll be doing the full pressurization on my own, AFTER a line is replaced whose pressure rating is too low for the system. The pump discharge line is rated for 7850 psi, as I recall, making 8400 to over-pressure test limit. This line will be replaced (by me) with a 3/4" line with the 10 kpsi rating, and THEN we'll go to full pressure. I worked with the engineers today so I know the weak points in the system, what to watch for, and what risks to mitigate. No one was surprised that I didn't take notes, it was pretty straightforward and logical to me.

Seems our gas-booster pump is rated for 9kpsi, so I'm not sure how they intend to go 9600... unless they plan to over-pressure it. We'll see what the final word is.

On the plus side, they'll keep everyone away during the pressure test, and I should be able to shoot pics at will.

One benefit to working with engineers... We were set up outside for everyone's safety... in the blazing sun. They ran to home depot and bought a tarp and rope to build a sun shade! :D

Steve S
I look forward to any information you can provide us. Most of what I pressurize is only to 5 psi to check for leaks, mainly fuel tanks so 9600psi is quite a difference.
Yes engineers can be nice at times but it the other 95% of the time that gets you :lol: No I like engineers......mostly. ;)
-Jonathan

JDIGGS82 wrote:I got some tig practice in today not a good day I was trying to walk the cup but after trying it appears I was drunkenly stumbling the cup lmao
What, no pictures? :(
-Jonathan

I will say, during (before) the 8400psi test, there was strict diligence to LOTO. All valves that should be in a certain position were locked out in that position. The test was done outside in an area no one had any business in unless connected to the test, so we didn't bother taping off the area, but I'm sure if we'd been in the shop, this would have been done, too.

The only parts of the system that had not previously seen proof pressure were the new valve, and the welds I attached it with, so there was not much concern with bursting failures. By agreement, we modified one aspect fo the procedure on the fly... We considered the posibility of the pump discharge check valve abruptyly failing, and pressurizing the pump inlet piping (3" sch. 10 wouldn't respond well to being pressurized into the thousands of pounds, so we opened a locked-out valve, an inlet valve, and a connection point cap to allow a path for very rapid discharge. That's just part of the process, though... analyzing what might go wrong, sorting out the possible consequences, and finding ways to protect from them.

Steve S
JDIGGS82

Superiorwelding wrote:
JDIGGS82 wrote:I got some tig practice in today not a good day I was trying to walk the cup but after trying it appears I was drunkenly stumbling the cup lmao
What, no pictures? :(
-Jonathan
I chucked that damn thing in the scrap bin was frustrated maybe I'll dig it out tomorrow morning and snap a few lol

To explain why everything I weld on this unit is x-rayed and over-pressured before it's released, I offer the following picture of a "weld" cut from this trailer two years ago. Scary stuff on a system that is supposed to pump pure hydrogen gas to 8000 psi on a regular basis.

Steve S
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Steve,
All I can say is 'Wow".

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len

If you use your imagination...

I can see a soldier wading into the surf, arms upraised, as a wave breaks over his head...

This unit was supposed to have been x-rayed 10%. We called in a team to x-ray 50 welds chosen at random, and got 50 fails.

Steve S

I can see it now that you mention it and I'm guessing by the raised arms that he's French. :lol:

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len

Braehill wrote:I can see it now that you mention it and I'm guessing by the raised arms that he's French. :lol:

Len
ROTFLMAO!!!

:lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol:

I guess I should be careful that I don't piss half of your neighbors off. I'm thinking French jokes don't go over well in your neck of the woods.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len

Braehill wrote:I guess I should be careful that I don't piss half of your neighbors off. I'm thinking French jokes don't go over well in your neck of the woods.

Len
Naw... Instead of midwest Pollack jokes, or Minnesota "Sven and Ole" jokes, We have Boudreaux and Thibideaux jokes.

It's all good, wherever you're from!

Not even the Cajuns consider themselves French.

Steve S

It was all good til the thumb sucking, belly aching, cry babies came around with 'political correctness" and told us how we should talk to one another. I've worked with people of all different backgrounds and we busted each others balls about whatever came to mind and we all had fun at each others expense, and at the end of the day you went home as freinds. Now we have to watch what you say so nobody gets offended, like it's a right not to be offended, but I degress.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

It's not my fault the Swedes never got the jokes.... :D
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
JDIGGS82

I went to the store to get French bread the other day never been so tired had to chase the thing around the store that damn thing ran fast 200 yards later it surrendered