General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Well, here is my practicing on walking the cup. It has been a learning experience for sure! I actually have tried to get at least 1/2 hour a day of practice. This plate is covered now and extremely warped :lol: Hopefully I will get flat down and I can try some pipe soon. And as you can see, I might have touched/dipped my tungsten a few times. :D
-Jonathan
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (141.67 KiB) Viewed 9472 times
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

That is......um......SPECIAL :D :lol: I would try for about an hour a day :lol: Just picking man not bad.
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt
Wes917
    Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 pm

Haven't contributed to this thread, or to the forum much lately. Was in the garage a little and started cutting up som schedule 40 4" pipe into practice coupons. Been awhile since I've done any real welding and was super excited to be making some headway. Then bam back started bothering me again, hate this cold weather. Ever since the surgery winters suck. Hopefully I can move to warmer climates one day. Still looking for a used lathe in budget for the bike build, though I may never get to ride it, or in short bursts. Maybe instead of hardtail do a mono shock that looks like a hardtail? Idk just pretty down about the whole thing. A yeah just a small update to what's going on, and a small personnel statement to the young guys, pls take care of yourselves and your bodies, don't get yourselves into this situation especially at an early age
JDIGGS82
    Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:46 pm

HELL YOU WALK THE CUP BETTER THAN I DO AND IVE BEEN TRYING A HALF HOUR A DAY FOR MONTHS NOW GUESS YOU COULD SAY IM A TAD SLOW LOL
farmboy
    Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:51 pm

Need help I have a precision tig 275 without the advanced control panel. Wanting to know if I should spend the money on the panel but will it help me or not I weld aluminum, and stainless with little problem any help would be appreciated
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

You do not need the "advanced control panel"...

Nobody does. It's a "luxury".

The precisiontig 275 is a good machine. It's a bit limited in what it can do in aluminum, but should be sweet on stainless to sch. 160.

Will it benefit you? Probably. Will you learn more as a welder without it? Definately.

Steve S

farmboy wrote:Need help I have a precision tig 275 without the advanced control panel. Wanting to know if I should spend the money on the panel but will it help me or not I weld aluminum, and stainless with little problem any help would be appreciated
While I absolutely agree with Steve that the advanced panel is a luxury and not needed to learn tig welding there are many benefits found in that panel. I will say that the features doin there, pulse, freq etc, in some cases only will benefit if your skill and knowledge are to that level. Pulse/freq will help you greatly with thinner materials and better control. If you are confident in your current skill I would say purchase the panel and learn more.

However, I also agree that one needs to learn without all the gadgets first.
My opinion.
-Jonathan
JDIGGS82
    Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:46 pm

Thoughts on this machine doesn't seem bad for price looking at buying one in the coming months http://www.amazon.com/AHP-AlphaTIG-200- ... B00EL8UQH4
RichardH
    Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:45 pm

JDIGGS82 wrote:Thoughts on this machine doesn't seem bad for price looking at buying one in the coming months http://www.amazon.com/AHP-AlphaTIG-200- ... B00EL8UQH4
Compared to the rest of the market, that's crazy cheap. It's half the price of an Everlast welder in that range, and Everlast are at the low-cost end of the spectrum. It's got glowing reviews on Amazon, but you'll have to temper how much the reviewers know vs. just bargain hunting.

Rating is one thing, duty cycle is another. Do your homework and compare the specs to see if the rated amps are only for a tiny amount of time. Warranty requires shipping to San Francisco, which won't be cheap. Everlast will send out circuit boards if you're willing to do the work.

I don't doubt the market is gonna get radically cheaper on inverters. Even Lincoln is slashing costs and adding features with their new multi-function inverter welder.
Grinding discs... still my #1 consumable!
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Sorry for non welding related post.
I figure there are navy history buff members that can answer this question for me please.

What kind of warship is this? A recon the pic was taken about 1945.
My research indicates this is a Colorado Class Battleship.
Main armament looks like four turrets of two guns.
Can anyone confirm please?
If so would the hull be of welded or riveted construction?
BB.jpg
BB.jpg (51.88 KiB) Viewed 9092 times
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'

Not the best picture, but I think the silhouette most closely resembles the USS North Carolina (North Carolina class), in her trim after repair from damage after Pearl Harbor.

Compare the third picture on this page:
http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/shi ... olina.html

She was commissioned April 9, 1941, so would have been welded construction.

Steve S

Wow, this was a topic from the past. 2014 seems like so long ago at times yet like yesterday others.
Jonathan
Coldman

Thanks Steve,
I'm not sure I'm convinced. The North Carolina Class has a more modern bow, 3 x three gun turrets and two aircraft.
The Colorado Class has the distinctive clipper bow, 4 x twin gun turrets and three aircraft.
The ship in the photo has the clipper bow, three aircraft launchers and the turrets definitely are not three gun and I think I can see four turrets. I wish there was more clarity in the photo, sorry about that.

That's the challenge in the photo. If you search the site I posted, you won't find a Colorado class in WWII trim with fewer than three guns in a turret. My take is this is a transitional phase in the ship's trim. The NC was damaged at Pearl Harbor, and refitted in a hurry. The image you presented resembles this "just after repair" trim (to me) more than it does a Colorado class from an earlier era of dreadnaughts.

Steve S
    Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:08 am

Maybe a New York class, BB35 comes to mind.
"Why is there never time to do anything right the first time but always time to do it again?"
Erich
    Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:03 pm

Not the New York, It had 5 twin turrets, also did not have cage masts during WWII.
North Carolina was not present at Pearl Harbor during the attack.

There were two classes of battleships that were nearly Identical.

The California and Tennessee had 4 triple turrets with 14 inch guns
Colorado, West Va and Maryland had 4 twin turrets with 16 inch guns.

I believe the ship going under the golden gate is the Colorado.
It was the only one of those 5 that was not at Pearl Harbor. It never received the massive rebuilds during the war.
It retained the cage foremast through the war. All the others had the Cage masts removed.

http://www.navsource.org has more ship pictures than you can believe.
Coldman

Thanks Erich, would you know if it was of riveted or welder construction? Or where i can look to find out?
Coldman

Here's another pic of the Colorado showing battle damage in the Marianas. Looks very much like the original pic I posted.
USS_Colorado_3.jpg
USS_Colorado_3.jpg (32.98 KiB) Viewed 9366 times
Erich
    Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:03 pm

I believe they are riveted.

Here is a large image of the California BB 44 just before launching
http://navsource.org/archives/01/044/014419l.jpg

Here is the keel laying.
http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/014496.jpg

If I remember correctly (always a maybe) welding for ship construction began to be really widespread with the introduction of the Liberty Ships. That was also the beginning of "modular" construction for ships.

Larry
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
Coldman

Bump

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

Bump again. I think I forgot about this thread!

So what is everyone up to?
-Jonathan Lewis

Hey Jonathan
Recently became a Scout Merit Badge counselor for the welding merit badge, had 4 students (2 at a time) so far. They have to weld beads on plate, then do a butt, lap and tee joint on steel. The guys have done better then I (worried) thought they would. It's cool to watch them learn this, even one of the Dad's tried running a few beads.

Listening to the podcast every week, who would have thought 155 episodes and going strong. Won't be going to Fabtech this year, Atlanta 2018 was my first, went to the preshow at JD's shop and met a lot of guys, would like to go to Vegas for a show.
Richard
Website
Coldman

I happened to bump into WeldinMike the other day which resulted in the froth being blown off the top of some fair pints.
It was awesome to meet him and I think I talked his ears off!
Sorry about that Mick!

Got any snaps of you 2 sipping pints? ;)
Richard
Website