General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Sadly no. If I'd have kept my mouth shut long enough perhaps the thought may have occurred to us.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
Coldman

Congrats on the counceling position.

Coldman wrote:Congrats on the counceling position.
Thanks ;)
Richard
Website
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

Superiorwelding wrote:Bump again. I think I forgot about this thread!

So what is everyone up to?
-Jonathan Lewis
work is getting into its busy season as we roll into spring. i think yesterday was the first day for the month where it has not rained :D
i've been setting up the plant, fabbing a few bits up. welding, electrics, plumbing etc. man of many hats.

still got 4x4 projects to do if i get time.
tweak it until it breaks
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hahaha, I don't think anyone can out talk me. Especially about welding. Not a great lot of expertise in the subject but I definitely love talking about it. Did think about a photo but did get around to. So heres one of me drinking a beer.
Attachments
20190831_183117.jpg
20190831_183117.jpg (34.35 KiB) Viewed 10264 times
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

That's confusing - your on your side - I thought you were all upside down over there !
Coldman

You can pour the beer down faster that way.

Sure can. And it's got to cold beer. Do they still have warm beer in England?
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Sometimes - but it's not a requirement ! we do have cold beer as well ! not really the best guy to ask - I don't drink anymore !

Good to hear they discovered refrigeration. Body can be a little bit more important that a cold beer, can't it.
    Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:43 pm

Superior Welding,

Jonathan, just finished listening to new podcast.

You could easily be making artistic stuff or practical small cool projects. I figure you got a family and limited time, no doubt. This isn't about just time though. Part of the secret is being setup, well planned and organized. Or more simply design the work efficiently so making projects isn't dreadful. Once you make a few thing you are hooked for life. There is simple no better product than homemade.

Although, now that I saw the Instagram page of your guests, that level of art might take awhile to develop. Holy shit, those guys are talented.
Learning is the best part of life and the most painful
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

LtBadd wrote:Hey Jonathan
Recently became a Scout Merit Badge counselor for the welding merit badge, had 4 students (2 at a time) so far. They have to weld beads on plate, then do a butt, lap and tee joint on steel. The guys have done better then I (worried) thought they would. It's cool to watch them learn this, even one of the Dad's tried running a few beads.

Listening to the podcast every week, who would have thought 155 episodes and going strong. Won't be going to Fabtech this year, Atlanta 2018 was my first, went to the preshow at JD's shop and met a lot of guys, would like to go to Vegas for a show.
That is awesome! Glad you have the opportunity to give back. I'll have to look into something like that one day, you know, in my free time. :lol: :lol:

Yes, I cannot believe, but am glad, the podcast is still going. We really enjoy doing it for sure. I will be at FABTECH this year for sure. Wish you could make it.
Jonathan
    Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

Everyone’s favorite fix, far too few stitch welds, slathered over with silicone
ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JayWal,
I don't know why you didn't just put more silicone on it. :lol: I mean, more is better isn't it?

JK, that sucks but good job on the repair.
Jonathan Lewis

So how is 2020 treating everyone? Any big plan(s) you are working on?
Jonathan
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Superiorwelding wrote:So how is 2020 treating everyone? Any big plan(s) you are working on?
Jonathan
So far so good! Work is killer, but I can't complain as it's just office work and they compensate me pretty good! Big plans?..hmmm......hope to make time to make welding videos! I think I can offer the "different" perspective on a few things given that I'm just a hobbyist with a lot of firepower. 8-)
tweake

Superiorwelding wrote:So how is 2020 treating everyone? Any big plan(s) you are working on?
Jonathan
no big plans.
just trying to get through a mountain of work (its summer here, make hay while the sun shines).
a few of the things i welded up are in use and are holding up.
maintenance day today. spent 4 hours swearing at engineers :roll: :lol:
tweak it until it breaks
tweake

just think for a mo.
plans this year (more like winter) will be to learn 7018. i've never run them before.
also would like to do more aluminum tig, give the stubby gas saver (not gas lens) more of a run. also get some time on the spool gun.
tweak it until it breaks
aeroplain
    Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:15 pm

Bought plans for an ultralight 20 years ago, built the engine(half VW) and now have all the parts to build the rest. Welding skills are now at the level that I feel good about building the fusealge. :) We'll see if I can get the garage clean enough to get it built.

So I started this thread in 2014 as a way to talk about whatever. At the time it seemed we would follow rabbit trails and highjack a topic (probably still that way). I thought it would be cool to dig this thread back up and see what happens. Most that contributed to this are gone but I would love to get to know others on here.

So, in the interest of "shooting the breeze" I will go first. I moved from Ohio to Texas a little over a year ago. I now own several companies and am starting two more. One will be a Metal service center (that will have a welding supply, rentals and such) that will hopefully go live mid 2022. The other is a Land Clearing company because I love machinery and wanted something different to do other than welding all the time. I still own/operate Superior and we are in the process of putting a team in place to help run and grow it as well.

I also finally got a Jeep Cherokee which I am tearing apart to make a dedicated rock crawler out of. I really enjoy muscle cars and off roading.

So, there we go. Let's see where this goes......
-Jonathan Lewis
Gdarc21
    Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:44 am

Hi Jonathan, ‘shooting the breeze’ sounds fun.
I too have a old vehicle to rebuild and while everything above the rocker cover is easy enough what magic hides underneath it mystifies me. The cast ally stuff ok but all that moving crap does my head in.
I spent a lot of time building large buildings, marking off and site erection, large scale irrigation and mobile plant fabrication, repair and Maintanence. So you’d think I’d be less dyslexic about motors considering I’m always around them but go figure.
I am trying to go for another certification. But I want to be confident in a lot of applications with tig before I go for the cert. I have done larger pipe with it but other than a few other fiddly bit no one pays the Cat fixer to take all day tigging the chassis up, so I have to find my own work for tig stuff. As most guys on this forum know pipe rooters are usually one position guys and if they don’t walk the cup...me....yet. Then all fun stuff is fluxed.
I am focussed on getting my tig up to scratch, its far from great but great from far :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I don’t know much non stereotypical things about Texas except most of the people that I know that live there won’t leave, so hopefully you are enjoying the move.
tweake

my poor old 4wd has become a bit of a garage queen.
keep meaning to do a few more projects on it.

however spring has started here and i'm busy getting works plant up and running. plenty of sanitary pipe welds but due to it being work no pics.
machines to fix, redesign and tweak. manufactures always seam to half arse a lot of it.
welding is almost done, plenty of wiring and programming vsd's to do.
tweak it until it breaks
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Amen tweek I know your pain. There are so many places I plan work but I am very restricted to what pictures I take just to plan a job. Also I see many times over how someone’s budget draws a hard no in a project feature that everyone agrees needs to happen. It is the reality of industry that is strictly profit driven. Guess the old saying step over a dollar to save a dime isn’t so far off!
I have more questions than answers

Josh
tweake

Poland308 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:25 pm Guess the old saying step over a dollar to save a dime isn’t so far off!
"save a penny, cost a pound"
"penny wise, pound poor"

funny thing is we where discussing this a work this morning.

it seams to happen in a lot of places. previous owner was really bad for that.
we used to wait for the air compressor to catch up to the machine, due to it having a small leak. would have lost $1000 in production time.
it cost $10 to replace the part. plant can now run at full speed.

another firm had their machine fail due to water build up in the air lines, because the air company never installed a dryer. it cost them more in lost production and repair costs than what a dryer is worth.

we have a faster pump on order because the existing one is slow and it costs more in labor waiting for the pump than what a new pump is worth.
tweak it until it breaks