General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

So my tig finger sacrificed itself for me yesterday. I had to build a new bottom for the battery box on a Ford 8n farm tractor and the old one was so rusted that we couldn't take it off the tractor with out the thing falling completely apart so I had to weld the bottom piece in with the part still in the tractor. That wouldn't be a problem if the fuel tank wasn't right against the box. I thought ahead because the only stick rods I had were 1/8" and needed to get it done I anticipated burn through. I ran 6013 rods at 70 amps and it did great but I had one spot that was too close to some fuel components so I stuck my tig finger between the box and that part, glad I did. I burnt a hole in my tig finger but that was better than the fuel tank. Thanks Jody for a great versatile product. I can still use it but it looks rough. If I get a chance I will try to take pictures of the project.
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Such a noble cause!!

Couldn't you have used an old stick welding glove???

I save my old burned up ones, and stick them between things.

~John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

We will have a moment of silence.....................ok time to order a new one
-Jonathan
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

Give him a free one! Thats a great testimonial!

And yes, old stick gloves( or new harbor freight ones) are great for that sort of thing.
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

I had a few tools handy at the time. I took the Everlast out and did the stick welding with it. All I had was a pair of work glove when I did it but since I was welding I always have a tig finger with me so I used it. If I had it close to my shop I would have used one of my old gloves but out in the field all I had was my tig finger. Did a great job, I will take a picture of it. I burnt through the metal and blew right into it and it put a small hole in it and was smoking but still works fine. May be good advertisement for those who don't have one.
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt
rake
    Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:19 pm

You should check with the manufacturer about a possible warranty replacement! :mrgreen: :P :lol: ;)
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

Im still trying to get Jody to make a pair of stick gloves made out of the stuff.
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
AKmud
    Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:47 am

I love my TIG finger! I just need four more.....