General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
thelederfam
    Tue May 13, 2014 8:58 pm

I inherited a really old portable welder from my grandfather that uses carbon rods as well as traditional welding rods to perform a wide variety of jobs. I read that it can be a great tool and for light work can replace several different machines. I would like to experiment with this unit but can't seem to locate any of the carbon rods. I think 1/4" would be best.

Has anyone ever used this type of welder or know where I can purchase some carbon rods? The internet is full of articles on this type of "welding" but even more requests for a source of the carbon rods.

thanks
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome on!

Search "ArcAir" or "air-arc" rods. Or more generic, "arc gouging rods".

Carbon-arc welding torches are rare these days, but arc-gouging is common, and uses carbon rods in various sizes (including 1/4") with a super-thin copper coating, which will work fine in your torch.

Steve S
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Not used one - but I've seen them around - used to be sold for arc brazing on auto body stuff when it was still legal - if you have a " Machine Mart " or " Clarke " outlet near you I believe I've seen them still in they're book - I would say it's of limited use - & must contaminate a whole lot of carbon into anything it touches.

Actually am I tripping - or could this actually be useful - if you wanted to case harden would the carbon transfer work ?
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

I have one hanging from the ceiling in a garage I don't use anymore. I bought it new in about 1974. I wasn't able to do much useful with it. It was loud, spattery, and hard to control. After a few tries, I hung it up and never went back to it. If I'm able to find them I think I have a box of carbons. It is my prediction that if I do you won't get much use either.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Agreed. The primary heat is going to be between the carbons, so the "best" use I see is welding outside corners. You'll never get a fillet out of it.

I'd have to dig to see what the original point of these was. My guess is a gimmick, like "patent medicine" cure-alls before there was real consumer-protection.

Steve S
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Well here at least it was a gimmick sold with low cost stick welders to try & allow arc as a heat source to braze repairs on auto sheet metal - not much use now as it's not legal - there was also a retarded thing with one electrode that was meant to do a sort of spot weld for the same purpose - all date from a time prior to cheap hobby mig sets - it's the kind of thing that would often be found in " Exchange & Mart "
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

Yeah, you could get rid of acetylene torches, electric welding was the future, no sooty old torches, less distortion, with concentrated heat. it was like lightning, leaving no trace of where it had been. A miracle! The same Twentieth Century welder has printed on it instructions about arc gouging. 100% duty cycle, In bold print it says "cuts like 400 amps" this is a 295 amp at 100% duty cycle. I still have it in good condition. Someday when I'm famous it'll appear at Rick Harrison's Pawn Shop, be authenticated, and sell for many thousands.

Now's your chance to own a piece of history for two hundred dollars + shipping. I'll throw in the carbon miracle free.
    Fri May 02, 2014 10:44 am

Lincoln still has the manual for their carbon arc torch available. It is one of the better resources on how to use one that I've found.
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/assets/s ... /im199.pdf
Unfortunately rather than telling you how to hard face farm equipment and weld aluminum and copper alloys the manual recommends a couple of "bulletins". I recently inquired Lincoln about both bulletins and was told to buy a square wave 175. :roll: