General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Fri May 09, 2014 9:48 pm

Just got the Lincoln Viking 3350 helmet and was wondering while using it at work tonight, since it has a solar power with battery assist will it continue to work minus the test feature if the batteries were to die on me while at work?

I plan on getting a few spares anyhow but surprisingly couldnt find the answer to this online via google.

Thanks in advance, Ben
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Simple answer to prove it one way or the other with that specific model is try it ! - but from a great variety of helmets I've seen no they do not work correctly / at all with a dead battery - it seems the solar panels output is too inconsistent based on light intensity to provide the voltage required for correct operation - ( think of a bit like can you remove your cars battery once started & everything work OK - I guess it should run off the alternator - but at idle there won't be enough charge for everything ) the battery is acting as a buffer to ensure correct voltage - this is why buying a helmet with non replaceable batteries is a bad idea ( & if you have one keep it hanging near a window so the panel sees the sun & keeps it charged or lifespan will be short )
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Correct me If I am wrong but the solar panel is only there to support and recharge the batteries. If your batteries die your helmet will not work. This is why you have a low battery light indicator or on the fancy helmets battery life indicator. Once your batteries die, the helmet dies.
-Jonathan
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Correct ! - & if you buy one that you can't change the batteries - when they die you throw away the helmet ! - this is why you always keep a spare or passive back up helmet !
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

You are correct. I always have a passive sitting there as my back up, or if I get tired of the auto.
-Jonathan

Well as test like you guys said I tried a couple things. I took the battery right out and it didnt work at all. Then I had a known dead battery and it would darken sometimes if the weld pool wasnt blocked by anything but even then it wasnt consistent. Long story short be sure to have spare batteries on hand unless you have another passive shade helmet on standby cause we all know they are gonna die on you when you need it most or on the first couple welds of the day.Simple physics of "Murphy's Law" also know as "BensJammings Luck" lol

Thanks for the responses guys. I know these seemed like basic dumb questions but was stuff I wasnt totally sure on and couldnt find any threads that stated the info for others looking for it.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Batterys are cheap.
$3 a piece of eBay.
Bought a set of them for my buddies Jackson when it wouldn't turn on.

John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024

AKweldshop wrote:Batterys are cheap.
$3 a piece of eBay.
Bought a set of them for my buddies Jackson when it wouldn't turn on.

John
Yeah I actually stopped at walmart and they had the Energizer 2450 batteries I needed on clearance for a $1 a peice. Grabbed all 8 that were left. Should be good for a while now, plus I figured someone else in the shop would have a dead battery as well sooner or later and would have enough to toss em one.