General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
ewils35
    Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:09 am

Just looking for a chop saw. Easier for me to make mitre cuts on tubing. Only be used as for a hobby. So the cheapest good quality is best. So what do y'all recommend

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
AKmud
    Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:47 am

As a hobbyist, you can get away with an inexpensive abrasive chop saw. If you don't mind spending a few more $$, step up to a dry cut saw. Your accuracy, speed, and cleanliness will improve dramatically. I started with a Ridgid abrasive saw and am now running an MK Morse 14" dry cut. Needless to say, my abrasive saw is gathering dust on the shelf. :D
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

For hobby use, DeWalt at Home Depot is a good compromise between accuracy and cost.

Horrible Freight has one that actually has a better table, but the motor is not too durable for hard use. It may well be fine for hobby use, at a much better price. A hint on HF saws... Run it for 10 minutes without cutting anything, to seat the brushes, and it'll last longer.

A 14" chop-saw has much longer blade life. a 10" chop-saw will be more accurate (less blade flex)

Just some options to weigh.

Steve S
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:09 pm

ImageBeen using this for aluminum, comes with a 40 tooth blade from lowes in the usa

It Cuts like butter just have to take your time and be careful! For accuracy I give it a 10 with a new blade. After about 12-20 cuts it starts to degrade. Get around 30 cuts per blade.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Last edited by Wiredwelder on Fri May 16, 2014 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

That saw takes 7.25 circular saw blades that are cheap.... 10$ cheap. And the saw has a no hassle 3 year return warranty. I'm on my second one. As aluminum has a tendency to break the fences on chop saws when it kicks!

ImageBuilding this light I have a million small tabs that need cut out of 1.25x.25 flat bar. Perfect for that!

Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

That is a cool light. Start a thread on that one.
-Jonathan