General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
JDIGGS82
    Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:46 pm

Other than trying to drill it out and take a ton of time any tips?
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

JDIGGS82

Just got a call to go try and get it removed from a friend haven seen it not sure if it busted flush some sticking out
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

There are several methods for removing a stuck tap or easy out. One is if it's a through hole and there is not much of the tap left, take a hammer and punch and smack it through. This might/will mess the threads up but sometimes this is just easier.
Another is to drill it out. I recommend a Cobalt drill bit for this and make sure you but spares.
If it is in fact sticking out and you cant weld a nut onto it, you can try the vise grip method.
Good Luck
-Jonathan
JDIGGS82

Done and done thanks for the help it was a shaft with a gear for a bread oven to turn the wheel, the gear was on a keyway on the shaft and it bolted to the top so I slid it on the key way clamped it tight and welded the gear on lol the part us ordered it's only gotta lwork till Tuesday told him not to even bother ordering one but he already did oh well quick 50 dollar bill in my pocket
TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

My son has a car he bought from another youngster and it has one of those plastic, cold air intakes on it. The section that holds the Mass Air Sensor was busted so I built him one out of aluminum. I made a flat perch for the sensor, and had him drill two holes for the 6/32 tap. As I was eating dinner, he couldn't wait for me to physically show him how to use a tap and he ended up breaking it off in the hole.

I ended up using a broach to cut a moat around the tap and just chipped the works out in one shot and filled the hole with weld and re-drilled it. It occurs to me that his first lesson using a tap is likely to be his best. Wish I could have learned all mine as quickly as that.
Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.
JDIGGS82

Right so very true Same here