General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
moon
    Fri May 16, 2014 10:56 am

OK I have a miller digital elite and love it but I weld at home as well and I sometimes forget my hood at home so I'm wanting g to get another. I don't really care about price. I've been looking at nextgens and true sights. I like the true sight sight view and display but we have the nextgen consumables at work. What are your guys thoughts
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

The Jackson NexGens are nice...
You've got to remember to turn them on, or you get flashed....

The Jackson Balder BH3 helmets is good, if really have money...

I just have a cheap AD helmet...

I'm a fixed lens guy... Dirty work...

Some of the other guys will chime in....

~John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
moon

I have an older Hobart but I hate it the dead gear is junk and iv bet it up for so long its almost falling apart. I got duct tape from where I cracked the shell lol. I think I may be going with the truesight. Our splyer has one in stock and is only asking 200.
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

I personally like a fixed shade for a back up helmet. Most of the time they lay around for a long time between uses and so with a fixed shade you don't have to worry about batteries dying or sensors going bad. They are cheaper to maintain and I think better in some situations. Also if you use them long enough you won't forget your good helmet at home. :D If you want auto dark, I really like my Miller Pro Hobby. My wife has the Miller Digital Elite and I really like my Pro Hobby. Again this is all personal preference.
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt
    Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:55 am

Well if price is not of your concern, then get a Jackson Balder BH3, have read lots of good reviews on this hood. Another great welding hoods are 3M Speedglas or Optrel .

Me, I'm just using ESAB welding helmets which I find very comfortable to use due to its lightness and wide viewing windows. ;)
moon

I'm not a big fan of the balder it looks cheep and I don't like how small the view is no to mention I really hate hoods that have flip up for grinding.

The shop I work for carries batteries in the tool crib so not worried about that at all. Not to be nation the true sight uses 2 AAA batteries so they would be cheep if it went dead at home
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

moon wrote:I'm not a big fan of the balder it looks cheep and I don't like how small the view is no to mention I really hate hoods that have flip up for grinding.

The shop I work for carries batteries in the tool crib so not worried about that at all. Not to be nation the true sight uses 2 AAA batteries so they would be cheep if it went dead at home
The Balder does not flip up for grinding. The arc color is very nice. I would like to pick one up just to have.

I agree with a passive as just a back up. If you want the auto go with the Truesight, I use one on a daily basis and love it. The thee things that sold me were the viewing area, sealed electrinics and the AAA batteries. I did not want to stick or look for special batteries for our helmets.
-Jonathan
moon

Superiorwelding wrote:
moon wrote:I'm not a big fan of the balder it looks cheep and I don't like how small the view is no to mention I really hate hoods that have flip up for grinding.

The Balder does not flip up for grinding. The arc color is very nice. I would like to pick one up just to have.

I agree with a passive as just a back up. If you want the auto go with the Truesight, I use one on a daily basis and love it. The thee things that sold me were the viewing area, sealed electrinics and the AAA batteries. I did not want to stick or look for special batteries for our helmets.
-Jonathan
Woops your right its the speed glass that does that
I have a Jackson passive hood. I just don't like using it its hard to see out of (this just may be the filter I have in it), its inconvenient to flip down all the time half of my job is just tacking parts since I'm the only guy in the shop that is trusted to use our demmeler table and there are times I have to stick my head is some tight spots and being able to see with my hood down before I strike an ark is very handy. I guess this is more of a having one at home and one at work kind of thing not really a back up
    Fri May 09, 2014 9:48 pm

I have the Lincoln Viking 3350 and for the money I could find one with comparable features. Also its nice and light, offers good protection even around your neck where my speedglas lacked, doesnt need to be turned on, so no forgetting and getting flashed the first time, is lightweight, parts are easily accessible, takes the standard size outer protector, huge viewing area, and about $100+ cheaper then the Comparable millers, Jacksons, etc... Just wish the the grind mode was a lighter shade or had that flip up AD lense.

Overall I beat the crap out of mine and its holding up well, and would buy another in heartbeat.