General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Number1weldingfan
    Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:51 pm

Hello kind folks. I just applied to a shipyard job. Is there anyone who is in the shipyard biz that could give me some tips on etiquette before I get there? Thanks.
Dennis (Florida)
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

Welcome to the forum, its the best show around.

In regards to your question, Im not a shippy, but ill give you one tip that transfers across lots of industries. Let your skills do the talking, not your mouth. Ive met lots of guys who talk about how good they are, and how they welded skyscrapers with an oxy torch and what not, and they have all turned out to be crap.

Mick
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

same most any job/field

Don't tell em what your going to do,show em what what you've done
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

"Shipyard" is a different animal. Expect your sense of "safety" to be challenged, unless you're on a gov't job.

Job classifications make little sense. The difference between "class A" and "class B" is seldom more than pay grade, as you'll find equally competent and incompetent people in each classification.

Guard your tools closely. The shipyards don't attract the most reputable folk.

Expect rust. Buy a block of Camphor, and drop it in your box, to keep rust off your tools.

Expect someone who doesn't speak much English to stab you in the back for 25 cents an hour...

Enthusiastic yet?

Steve S
RichardH
    Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:45 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:"Shipyard" is a different animal. Expect your sense of "safety" to be challenged, unless you're on a gov't job.

Job classifications make little sense. The difference between "class A" and "class B" is seldom more than pay grade, as you'll find equally competent and incompetent people in each classification.

Guard your tools closely. The shipyards don't attract the most reputable folk.

Expect rust. Buy a block of Camphor, and drop it in your box, to keep rust off your tools.

Expect someone who doesn't speak much English to stab you in the back for 25 cents an hour...

Enthusiastic yet?

Steve S
Sounds a lot like Corporate America... :cry:
Grinding discs... still my #1 consumable!
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

You walk up to the biggest guy you can find and punch him right in the face.

Oh wait, thats jail....
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Not personally been in jail - but I've been on some job sites that are like that !
kermdawg

OR you can walk up to the foreman on the first day and tell him he's an idiot and tell the GF you should have his job. Thats what I do. Just to break the ice.

This is fun, but I guess we've not been that helpful yet...

I only worked two weeks at a shipyard. I should have stayed for 4, to put the money back I spent getting there, but I hated it so much I was willing to struggle rather than spend another day there.

I've know many people who worked years in the shipyards, but I've never heard anyone tell me how much he enjoyed it.

Food for thought.

Steve S
kermdawg

Otto you've been on plenty of "regular" jobsites. How would you describe the differance between a regular jobsite and the shipyards?

On the helpful side-In my opinion, and I've worked both shop jobs and field jobs, the first week or so you just kinda gotta get your feet wet on that jobsite. Their all differant, they all got differant safety rules and work rules, and you just gotta take it easy. Let your work speak for ya, try not to piss anyone off. Keep your opinions to yourself.

kermdawg wrote:Otto you've been on plenty of "regular" jobsites. How would you describe the differance between a regular jobsite and the shipyards?...
I can tell you I enjoyed one (many times) and despised the other (in one experience).

I'm sure I'd be more confident if the second category had a larger sample than "one"...

I'll look at this tomorrow, when I can, perhaps, answer more coherently.

Steve S
JDIGGS82
    Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:46 pm

But coherent answers aren't as entertaining usually
Number1weldingfan
    Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:51 pm

Thank you everybody for your replies. The hardest part of job hunting is waiting for a response. But that comes with the territory. Been there before. I am so excited that I have completed school and can't wait to show off my skills. I realize that I have to start off as a helper and what not but I have to start somewhere. As the saying goes, I have to crawl before I can walk. I will get to the top eventually. I just need to get my foot in the door first. As soon as I learn the company's products I will be fine. It is just finding a company willing to give me the chance.
    Fri May 09, 2014 9:48 pm

I been working in shipyards for alittle bit now. Like others said, be humble let your work show what you can do rather then brag yourself up. Dont be scared to ask questions. Each place does things differently and its best to be on the same page as everyone else, just makes it easier on everyone. Keep tabs on your tools, especially if your responsible for buying them. They tend to grow legs, not so much while on your shift but if you leave it out over the next shift you might as well forget about it. Shipyards are DANGEROUS. Actually on OSHA's top 5 most dangerous places to work so take your time think things through and be safe. Tons of confined spaces and weird positions to deal with, as well as watch for combustibles on the reverse sides of bulkheads, decks, overheads, hatches, etc or whatever your welding on. Most fires seem to happen from insulation, or paper on opposite sides of stuff and that catches fire without anyone knowing it. We use the washer system on our shielding gas hoses to let you know if anyone is down there or not so you can alert them if something is happening or whatever.

Im sure they will go through alot of whats expected and its not as bad as alot of people make it sound to be. I like it better then several other welding positions I have had, but its definetly a challenge. If your not a good welder now you will be by the time your done. Lots of mirror welding in wacky out of position, I didnt think you could lay a bead in that spot type welding. :shock: