General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Gizmo
    Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:11 pm

Who welds at 3 Amps DC or 5 Amps AC in the normal world I see that the most welder go that low but why do you need it just to say you can. You need least 12 to 20 Amps AC to weld a pop can or aluminum rad core.
Welding 3 Amps DC just get the .010 steel hot enough not to touch but not hot enough to weld it.
Miller Dynasty 400 TigRunner
Miller Invision 352 MPa w/ D-74 MPa Plus
Miller AlumaPower 350 MPa w/ XR Alumafeed Suitcase
Miller XR-Aluma-Pro Push Pull Gun
Miller XR-Aluma-Pro Lite Push Pull Gun
Hypertherm PowerMax 45 XP
CK Worldwide Torches
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome, Gizmo,

And, who said anything about welding at 5 amps, here?

We're a bit more realistic about things here than the BS you might hear on some other welding sites.

Steve S
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Gizmo,
I would like to see the thread you might possibly be referring to. I have welded, sorry fused, at 5-10 amps DC but it is VERY rare and I don't remember the thickness of the material. I believe it was 20 something gauge.
Welcome to the forum also.
-Jonathan
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

I probably couldn't see anything at 3-5 amps :lol:

I just welded a pop can for the first time actually - had it set to max on my low range at 48 amps and used them all.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
RichardH
    Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:45 pm

Gizmo wrote:Who welds at 3 Amps DC or 5 Amps AC in the normal world I see that the most welder go that low but why do you need it just to say you can. You need least 12 to 20 Amps AC to weld a pop can or aluminum rad core.
Welding 3 Amps DC just get the .010 steel hot enough not to touch but not hot enough to weld it.
I've done as low as 7A DC, pulsed 50%, on a wireframe that used 0.045" and 1/16" wire. Mostly fusion, a little welding. I've seen folks fuse tinfoil with TIG, not that I'm sure what the practical application is for that.

Cheers,
Richard
Grinding discs... still my #1 consumable!
Gizmo

RichardH wrote:
Gizmo wrote:Who welds at 3 Amps DC or 5 Amps AC in the normal world I see that the most welder go that low but why do you need it just to say you can. You need least 12 to 20 Amps AC to weld a pop can or aluminum rad core.
I've done as low as 7A DC, pulsed 50%, on a wireframe that used 0.045" and 1/16" wire. Mostly fusion, a little welding. I've seen folks fuse tinfoil with TIG, not that I'm sure what the practical application is for that.

Cheers,
Richard
Richard
Did that in school with a little acetylene torch in one off my welding class 45 years ago, it is more a trick then anything else it has no application like welding pop cans.
CK Worldwide Torches
Gizmo

Superiorwelding wrote:Gizmo,
I would like to see the thread you might possibly be referring to. I have welded, sorry fused, at 5-10 amps DC but it is VERY rare and I don't remember the thickness of the material. I believe it was 20 something gauge.
-Jonathan
I was reading about welders that will work from 1amp and up how do you get a arc to start at 1amp. Mine starts at 3 amps and it will only sort of work using .020 tungsten tried to weld aluminum rad core did work but not worth the hassle it is easer to use Dura-Fix and a small propane torch just like soldering.
CK Worldwide Torches
    Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:51 am

IMHO the trick is not so much being able to start at 1 amp (to throuw out a number), but to maintain a stable arc at low numbers after it has started. This means you can for instance back off on the power (eg. via foot pedal) way back while keeping the arc 'live' and gas flow running, but allowing the part to cool and the puddle to solidify.

I have never welded titanium myself, but I understand it has quite critical weld area and HAZ temperature limits before it starts to become reactive, I can imagine you need to often use a weld-and-pause technique to let it cool again after welding a little each time, but you also need to keep the gas flow going or it will oxidise again. Being able to drop to a very low amperage could be beneficial.

Of course you could actually TIG on even lower amps and people regularly do, but then you're getting into Micro-TIG setups where you look through a (micro)scope to make very small/precise welds on small items.

Bye, Arno.
Gizmo

-Jonathan
No I was asking as a general question people keep bragging about how low the welding machines can go like one of the blue machines will starts at 1 amp DC and 2 amps AC. I am happy to have a stable arc at 10 amps AC and up and 5 amps DC.
Last edited by Gizmo on Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CK Worldwide Torches
Gizmo

Titanium Exhaust 1.jpg
Titanium Exhaust 1.jpg (40.48 KiB) Viewed 1350 times
Titanium Exhaust 2.jpg
Titanium Exhaust 2.jpg (38.32 KiB) Viewed 1350 times
Arno wrote:IMHO the trick is not so much being able to start at 1 amp (to throuw out a number), but to maintain a stable arc at low numbers after it has started. This means you can for instance back off on the power (eg. via foot pedal) way back while keeping the arc 'live' and gas flow running, but allowing the part to cool and the puddle to solidify.

I have never welded titanium myself, but I understand it has quite critical weld area and HAZ temperature limits before it starts to become reactive, I can imagine you need to often use a weld-and-pause technique to let it cool again after welding a little each time, but you also need to keep the gas flow going or it will oxidise again. Being able to drop to a very low amperage could be beneficial.

Of course you could actually TIG on even lower amps and people regularly do, but then you're getting into Micro-TIG setups where you look through a (micro)scope to make very small/precise welds on small items.

Bye, Arno.
Yes I see they do, but most people use Tig Micro Plasma Welding Machines when welding that low of Amps.
I do welded Titanium and it is very ease to weld, I repair titanium motorcycle racing exhaust system.
Last edited by Gizmo on Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
CK Worldwide Torches
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Gizmo wrote:
-Jonathan
Know I was asking as a general question people keep bragging about how low the welding machines can go like one of the blue machines will starts at 1 amp DC and 2 amps AC. I am happy to have a stable arc at 10 amps AC and up and 5 amps DC.
That's cool. I was thinking I missed a thread somewhere discussing low amperage welding on here or that you were referencing a thread or article elsewhere. That low amperage welding or fusing is actually quite interesting. One advantage to that low of a amperage would be lighting up on very thin material and not blowing through. Maybe we can discuss this topic further, anyone have any information for us?
-Jonathan
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

MinnesotaDave wrote:I probably couldn't see anything at 3-5 amps :lol:

I just welded a pop can for the first time actually - had it set to max on my low range at 48 amps and used them all.
wait a minute, 48A to weld pop cans? Something sounds off on that '63 Airco. :) what kind of balance does that machine run on AC?
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Oscar, them old beasties don't have balance control - 50/50 balance only.

Max pedal on the low range, got a puddle started and left the filler in the puddle, kept arc on the puddle as there was no need to advance ahead to penetrate.
Wetted in nice that way - fast travel speed too :)
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Ah ok, that makes sense. Just as much heat going into the tungsten as going into the cans. :lol: