General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
dareo
    Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:05 am

Why? I can buy a half inch thick used piece for a very good price. Would this type of steel have any negative downsides over regular hot rolled plate? Anything negative for high freq TIG?

Also, does anyone know if it plasma cuts about the same as regular steel?

I currently use a 10 gauge sheet of mild steel to weld on and have to be careful about heat. I'd like a new table in the 3'x6' range.

Any other suggestions for an ideal table material or thickness choice top would be welcome. From what i have read, a copper table would be really nice, but huge $$$ there.

Thanks!
SPENG
    Sat May 31, 2014 9:04 pm

I have 2 tables here in my shop. 1 is AR500 in 1/2" thick and another table that is aluminum with 3/4" thick aluminum.
SPENG

and

dareo
    Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:05 am

Nice tables! I take it you have nothing bad to say about the AR500 table? Thanks for pics.
SPENG

nothing bad at all. If you have the funds and want, I can order a piece of ar500, cut it to a shape you like (rounded corners etc) and have it shipped to you.
RichardH
    Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:45 pm

Piling on to the OP's broader question...

What alloy makes for a good / bad welding table surface?

I've been enjoying a Strong Hand BuildPro table with its grid of fixture holes. It seems to be some kind of rust-resistant, hardened alloy, though it's not impervious to rust or grinding.

Then, of course, there's run-of-the-mill plate that you'd just tack your stops to. If you're not machining it, do you just grab whatever's cheapest at the size you need? How much does the oxide get in the way of a good ground?

Cheers,
Richard
Grinding discs... still my #1 consumable!
    Mon May 12, 2014 12:06 am

I have thought of getting salvage 6"x32"x3/4" HR steel to make a table similar to the BuildPro. I can even drill the 5/8" holes... I plan to get a quote on having the surface ground so each plate is flat and the same thickness. At $.55/lb it's a cheaper alternative...
Glen
Miller Dynasty 200DX - Millermatic 350P - Hypertherm Powermax 45 - Hobart Handler 150