General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Mon May 12, 2014 12:06 am

I might be missing something, but, why are so many carts made with the welder tilted up?
Is it just for ease of seeing/using the controls while sitting?

I am wondering about building a cart for my Powermax 45, Dynasty 200DX and Handler 150 +2 bottles... Haven't decided which is best on top, the MIG or TIG. Another option is a separate cart for the MIG and bottle.

Need to see Jody's part 3 of the welding cart...
Glen
Miller Dynasty 200DX - Millermatic 350P - Hypertherm Powermax 45 - Hobart Handler 150

I am with you on the tilt question. In fact I thought about tilting the cart I am making just for looks. And then I thought better.

Tilting up the welder will only make it more likely for the cooling fan to blow my shielding gas away if I have the cart close to my work.

Also, I am planning on putting the welder on the middle shelf so Tig tools and stuff can go on top.

I already have several cheap welder carts and the shelf under the welder most often goes unused.

That's why I am thinking a tool tray on top would be better for me.

And I am making all the shelves flat too.

Best
Jody

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Glen,
The one advantage I can see is you will be able to see your controls easier. I would think that is some cases the tilt would actually allow the fan to blow toward the ground and not straight in the air, but I guess it would depend on the machine.
-Jonathan

Jody and Jonathan, thanks for the replies.

The other thing I see about the tilted configuration is that it can add extra stress on the cables, especially the MIG, by increasing the bend from gravity...

Jody, I'm liking the idea of a tool tray on top. Hadn't thought of that one!

The Hypertherm has the longest cable and fewest settings, so putting it on the bottom shelf works for me. A shallow parts drawer above it and under the Dynasty will be great for consumables, both TIG and Plasma.
Glen
Miller Dynasty 200DX - Millermatic 350P - Hypertherm Powermax 45 - Hobart Handler 150

Okay just had some more thoughts on a welder cart for my Powermax 45 and Dynasty 200DX...

I liked Jody's idea of having a top to put things on, and thought this might be good to put there to sharpen tungsten...

Another thought I have for some storage is to weld in a tool chest, It's just the right size:
Glen

Okay, I have some more questions...

I have 3 units, Dynasty 200DX, Powermax 45 and Handler 150. Thinking about all three machines on one cart with two bottles. A 50' 10/3 power cord connected to a breaker panel and direct two 30A twist-lok outlets (200DX & 45) 20A 220V and outlet (Handler 150) and 20A 115V breakers with 2 duplex outlets on the cart. The other option is the Handler 150 on its own cart. I guess there could be another option using 3 carts, one for each unit. This is at home, and I'm the only one using this stuff.

For the TIG cart, I'm trying to decide on filler rod storage... I have generally cut my 36" rods in half just to make them easier to handle. I am considering a tool chest drawer with trays to store the rods or a tube rack with plastic tubes like these or lay the tubes in the drawer...

Any toughts :?: :?:
Glen
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

PVC,end caps,glue
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)

Glen,
I think those tubes will work fine and you will not get pipe or PVC that cheap. For your cart configuration that will depend on your space in your shop. Also consider how much time and money you want to spend on carts.
-Jonathan

rick9345 wrote:PVC,end caps,glue
Not too interested in that, just too bulky... I could use class 200 PVC, but the caps are still bulky.

I like the clear tubes, easy to see what's in them lots of size options. Guess I can cut tubes that new rods come in :o
With the exception of my AL, Ti and Stainless rods, the others have oxidized ... rust spots! :( :x but new welder = new filler rod!
Glen

Superiorwelding wrote:Glen,
I think those tubes will work fine and you will not get pipe or PVC that cheap. For your cart configuration that will depend on your space in your shop. Also consider how much time and money you want to spend on carts.
-Jonathan
Jonathan, at this point, it's going to be more the journey than the destination. The garage is less than half the size it needs to be... Carts are going to be the thing to build, Welders, Table Saw, Radial-arm saw, Jointer, planer, drill press, pedestal grinder, metal cutoff saw...

Today, was looking at some 14"x5/8" steel bar for a welding table top ($.55/lb) slight variation to the BuildPro table...
Glen

Glen,
I think the journey will be better than the destination anyway!
-Jonathan

Hey, it's all practice!
Glen

GlenC wrote:Hey, it's all practice!
And practice makes perfect, boy I have a lot more practicing to do :D
-Jonathan

Ok Glen I have to ask, is that your Porsche as your avatar?
-Jonathan

Yes it is, but it's another unfinished project that started decades ago. This project was the one that made me purchase my Econo Twin HF TIG machine.... I learned my scratch-start TIG on that car, replacing body/chassis panels .... Bought the Miller back in '75 or '76...
Glen