General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Zach_T
    Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:48 am

I was just sitting and thinking, what goes through everybody's head when the hood drops and the dimes start to stack?
For me it's just peaceful what ever bull $h!t that happens during the day just seems to disapear when my hood drops and that arc starts and my head just clears. Was just curious if its the same for anyone else??
If ya ain't burnin ya ain't earnin
TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

I look forward to the regroup time between sessions. I try to consolidate the bulk of my welding Thursday and as a casual exit Friday so that I can put all my other tools and mess away for a fresh start Monday. I'll also use welding time as an escape from intermittent ADD, and more often than not, alternative solutions to engineering nightmares will occur to me, much like walking away from a problem and revisiting it with a different perspective.
Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

It all goes quiet when the hood drops. :)

Hours pass without notice till I get hungry enough to have a headache. Then I notice my coffee cup is still full and ice cold.

The only other thing that focuses my attention that intensely is mathematics/physics - basically any applied math topic really.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Drifta-X
    Mon May 26, 2014 2:53 am

For me ATM it's
Hope the ally doesn't drop,
Hope I cleaned it enough
Hey keep breathing
Stop fogging up
This is going too well, something bout to go wrong
What's for dinner tonight.
I have a soldering iron!
aeroplain
    Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:15 pm

....why the hell does everyone wanna chat the second I start to weld?
newschoppafowah
    Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:54 pm

I'm a long way from a pro, this is just my 2 cents.

When i was in school and for a time after, the concentration would leave me in a kind of 1000 yard stare mode for up to a few hours after I was done welding.

I still get that sometimes, but when I'm welding metals I'm used to in thicknesses I'm experienced with, it's just quiet in my head while I'm lit up, usually no laggy feeling afterward.

I almost always have an mp3 player with a podcast I know I'll like going when I'm lit up, otherwise I'll just sing the same 2 bars of some song I hate over and over again in my head.

We didn't start the fire.... :roll:

Edit in RE: aeroplain:
When I was in school there was a chatty fellow who liked to interupt me while I was lit up. I made it real clear this was going to be a problem for him if he didn't knock it off. Some people need to be reminded of the obvious. :evil:
Sent from an earthen ditch outside Needles, CA using an awful lot of low voltage single strand wire.

It's a matter of flour and water and then there's the seasonings, which is a matter of salt and so forth and then you h-we interrupt this for the announc
danielbuck
    Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:56 pm

"man I hope it doesn't look like sh*t" :lol:

But I'm still learning 8-)
aeroplain
    Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:15 pm

Edit in RE: aeroplain:
When I was in school there was a chatty fellow who liked to interupt me while I was lit up. I made it real clear this was going to be a problem for him if he didn't knock it off. Some people need to be reminded of the obvious. :evil:

They have all been alerted to the "hazard" of talking to me. The boss is the worst; has a voice that could peel paint, and they are all a bit thick IMO. :| I wear ear plugs too, it helps, but the rat bastids still get through.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

I have a rule here that if I have a gun in my hand it means I am going to weld. I worked with a guy that got terribly irritated if you tried to walk up and talk to him when he was getting ready to weld. One day he decided to teach me a lesson, I walked up and started talking and without warning he started to weld and did not stop. I got the hint and a new idea :lol:
For me, when the helmet is down I think of a lot of things. Mostly random but I do like to sink into my music. Sometimes I go blank as described but find when I do this I sometimes can forget to do something of lose track of where I am at. My favorite time on a project is actually the welding itself. I too wear ear plugs and crank up the music if I can. Oh and I like EDM and it drives everyone else crazy.
"....it was always burning since the worlds been turning"
-Jonathan
    Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:14 pm

.....make puddle.....dab filler....move forward...make puddle....watching the edge and trying to match them as I go. Totally oblivious to anything else.....unless a wi$e a$$ decides to drop something heavy close to me. Kapling clunk clink !!!!! Then I grab the grinder. This is when I tell them not only will this make me kill you... it's going to hurt the whole time you are dying. :o
Building an airplane is at times somewhat like a divorce.....with the exception that she doesn't leave
J.J. Flash
Dblcorona
    Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:30 pm

Usually just think about stuff I need to do around the house. One of the hard things for me is talking while welding. As an instructor you kind of do it some but it's not comfortable to me. I also find I put my tongue into my cheek when I weld, which makes talking even harder.
forrestderp
    Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:51 am

When the hood drops for me all else goes away, all my nonesense goes blank and I just perform what is needed to make the weld, it is really weird that I have kinda lost the thinking about the weld and now it just kinda happens, not sure how but it does.
Zach_T

forrestderp wrote:When the hood drops for me all else goes away, all my nonesense goes blank and I just perform what is needed to make the weld, it is really weird that I have kinda lost the thinking about the weld and now it just kinda happens, not sure how but it does.
About the exact same for me I was just wondering if anyone was the same
Jason_alex
    Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:41 pm

when I drop my hood all I think about is eeeeeeeeeeee
forrestderp
    Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:51 am

Zach_T wrote:
forrestderp wrote:When the hood drops for me all else goes away, all my nonesense goes blank and I just perform what is needed to make the weld, it is really weird that I have kinda lost the thinking about the weld and now it just kinda happens, not sure how but it does.
It is a good place to be. :)
Zach_T

forrestderp wrote:
Zach_T wrote:
It is a good place to be. :)
Yes it is!!
nightscale
    Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:21 pm

I don't think of anything and tune out to my mp3 even if the boss (wife) is yelling at me. I work for myself now so much better
Wes917
    Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 pm

Depends on what it is. If its something I've done a bunch of before I think about all kinds of things, groceries list, what to do later, have conversations etc. if its something that's a new part, with an unfamiliar joint, that gets inspected multiple times throughout and xrayed etc then I don't really think about anything. It's a strange thing but its like everything goes black and I'm just hyper focused on my part.
Subsix
    Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:04 pm

Depends on what process I'm doing. If it's stick welding, I'm usually complaining in my head that I have to weld on this piece of #@$%*. If I am mig welding, I know this is super sad, but I use a the cursive e and it's long beads I'm running I sing to myself "the beads on the weld go round and round". If I'm tig welding, it's like a 12 year old boy, oooooo shinny puddle I will put this stick in and now push shinny puddle then oooooo shinny all over again. I'm am 100% ok with my mental state.