General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
crazycarl
    Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:03 am

Hello everyone,

I have seen several different styles of table tops for welding carts but I need to ask 2 questions:

1. why do some have squares and round holes and what are they used for?
2.Is 3/4" too thick?

I found a nice 3/4" piece of steel at the scrap yard it is already machined (CNC/Plasma) with round holes and 3" squares cut all through it, half is solid with the round holes and the other is with the squares. It weighs around 600lbs but is around 7x5 and my top is only 3x5'.

If I buy this it will be around $180 and I will have to cut it down to size... Please help me understand why some tables have these holes and squares.

Thanks,
CrazyCarl
HW (Happy Welding)

Having a Blast!
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

CrazyCarl,

There is nothing quite like having 10 thousand ways /places /angles to clamp stuff to your table.

3/4" is not too heavy, especially with the removed material. It will help with rigidity.

I'd jump at it. I'd also try to trade the part you don't use for a piece of 1/4" or 3/8" plate that can be clamped to the new table, for small stuff that might fall through. It might only need be a fourth the size of the overall table, but a solid "un-holey" surface is good to have.

Steve S
    Mon May 12, 2014 12:06 am

It seems like you are describing a Platen table... Is it cast Iron?
Glen
Miller Dynasty 200DX - Millermatic 350P - Hypertherm Powermax 45 - Hobart Handler 150
crazycarl

No it is steel, I called the yard yesterday and told them it was too thick as I had not heard anything back from anyone. I believe they have ALREADY cut it up... I will call them immediately to check, as for the 3/8" I have a 4x4' sheet here at the house.

I am totally confused and I hope I don't waste 180 bucks, just called and they still have it. guess I will pick it up on 7/1 (payday). Going down to take pictures to show you all...

Thanks for the replies, when you're new to something it appears everything is questionable and you're unsure of your actions and I don't want to be wasting my money or buying something that is not needed/required.

CrazyCarl
HW
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Our apologizes for not responding promptly! Buy the plate, thicker the better. I just made two more tables out of 3/8" 4'x8' sheets and the are fine for our application but could have went thicker.
-Jonathan
HW!
Edit; if that plate is gone and you are close to me, I have 1/2" pl approx 24"x50" you can have.

A little off topic... If I were to build a table similar to the BuildPro, is there a downside to using 6"x3/4" hot rolled steel?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Glen
Miller Dynasty 200DX - Millermatic 350P - Hypertherm Powermax 45 - Hobart Handler 150
crazycarl

Oh man, please don't apologize. This is a FORUM, the people who make up this place are doing this out of the kindness of their hearts... they don't expect anything but friendship and an occasional "pat" on the back.

The plate is there, I have reserved it and it weights 600 lb. It is heavy, I will be able to use my front end loader to move it. I recently posted where I purchased a table, put casters on it and that is my welding table. It has a solid top but it is 1/8" and I think it will buckle at a period of time. The plate I found is 3/4" I believe, it has roughly 3x3 squares cut into it on HALF and the other side is solid with round holes in it.

I am going down tomorrow to take pics, but I have to wait on the UPS man as my Plasma machine should be in... yay.

Thanks!
CC
HW!
crazycarl

Otto Nobedder wrote:CrazyCarl,

There is nothing quite like having 10 thousand ways /places /angles to clamp stuff to your table.

3/4" is not too heavy, especially with the removed material. It will help with rigidity.

I'd jump at it. I'd also try to trade the part you don't use for a piece of 1/4" or 3/8" plate that can be clamped to the new table, for small stuff that might fall through. It might only need be a fourth the size of the overall table, but a solid "un-holey" surface is good to have.

Steve S
Steve,
how does the "rigidity" of the metal stay the same when material is missing? Can you please explain? Never mind, I believe you are referring to the thickness (3/4").

Thanks!
CC
HW!
Last edited by crazycarl on Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I did not mean to imply it would be as rigid as if it were whole.

I meant to imply, with the missing material, it may be as rigid as a 3/8" or 1/2" solid plate, especially when properly supported. You should be able to clamp anything anywhere, and beat the hell out of it with a four-pound hammer without fear of damage.

Steve S
crazycarl

Ok, I made it back down to the scrap yard at the last minute yesterday to get some pics of that 3/4" plate.. Please tell me what you all think, if I should use it for a table top or not.

Another thing, I know I have nothing but questions now and hopefully I can contribute as I learn throughout the next year or so... A big thanks for being so kind.

Thanks,
CrazyCarl
Attachments
IMG_1117[1].JPG
IMG_1117[1].JPG (73.02 KiB) Viewed 1397 times
Possible table top, 600lbs
Possible table top, 600lbs
IMG_1115[1].JPG (83.71 KiB) Viewed 1397 times

Not sure about the cutout side, may need lots of support. Looks like it's only about 20-30% left. Might work for a cutting table too!
Glen

Carl,

If it's still roughly flat, I'd take it in a heartbeat. Ideally, the whole sheet, or half crosswise, for a mix of open space and nearly solid surface, and build a tough-ass stand for it. If you have the budget, have it planchard-ground for near dead-flat, and use small stitches to attach it to whatever base you build to minimize distortion.

I'd love to have that slab for a table. No more tacking half-clamps. Tons of places to either fit a C-clamp on the open half, or bolt stuff down on the other half.

Steve S
crazycarl

Steve,

That thing is 5x7 and my current table is 3x5 so a lot of it is going to get cut away (thank GOD!). My only concern is that my current table has a 1/8" flat surface (complete). I guess I will have to "cut" it wherever the squares are on the new piece just to have places to clamp to.
As for being flat, it is flat or flat enough for what I am doing or will ever do (I think). I am not a professional and this merely a hobby at this point.

However, I have ALREADY had someone ask me to weld a mirror back on their old pickup! I explained to the guy that I don't have a decent mig and the stick would burn through that thin stuff. But, if I could make extra "cash" (has to be cash if you know what I mean) then I would do stuff for people without question... I love money! :)

Have you seen my "new" welding cart that I bought from the scrap yard? Here is another pic... I love advice so keep it coming, I am picking up that new top on the 1st...

CrazyCarl
HW!
Attachments
solid top...
solid top...
DSC_2339.JPG (52.01 KiB) Viewed 1037 times
welding cart originally.JPG
welding cart originally.JPG (47.69 KiB) Viewed 1037 times

Yeah, Carl, I saw that cart.

Didn't you buy that "by the pound"? That was a sweet deal, with working castors!

Steve S
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Carl,
Looks like a awesome table top to me. Looks like a plasma table drop to me. It might not be as flat as you would like but for what you need it will be fine. I agree with everyone, having those squares will be beneficial in many things. I might have to steal some ideas from that drop.
-Jonathan
crazycarl

Yeah I know I believe it will be a great top but extremely heavy. I think once I get it cut down to size and tacked on the table it will still be around 400lb... I am going to reinforce the legs and the center of the table.

As for the cart, I got it for .30 a pound but the casters were NOT included. The local scrap yard here has 2 parts, they have one that is called L&L (the scrap part) and L&S where they take odd stuff and resell it.. I got the castors complete for 60, he wanted 20 a piece and I talked him down to 15 as the fronts are plastic and the rears are solid steel. They are 8" and from what I saw on the net they should be able to handle roughly 800lbs... so I should be OK.

CrazyCarl
HW!

$.30/lb ... that's great, I'm looking at some 14"x5/8" bar to make a welding table and it's at $.55/lb ($.60 with tax :evil: ) Guess I'll take the trailer to pick it up and use my shiny new Powermax 45 to cut it to size....
Glen
crazycarl

Glen,

yes anything at the yard that is 'used' is only .30 a lb. they have 'new' metal and it is either .50 or .55 lb. The new metal sits outside so it has surface rust but is considered new because it has not been used previously.

I love going there, they have so much crap... today I saw a guy bring in an OLD Massey Ferguson (yellow) tractor with a front end loader... have never seen a tractor like that before. I am sure, he could have gotten online and parted it out and made 4 to 5 times what he got.

CrazyCarl
HW!