General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Fri May 09, 2014 9:54 am

I was wondering if anyone had some kind of template for a rotary dial, so I could replace the two missing stickers on a Hobart Champion 16 Welder Generator which looks nearly identical to this one?

I believe it's from 1995 and those settings are long gone.

I know the divisions and could simply mark them on the machine with a permanent marker, but I was hoping for a circular sticker or something I could fasten under both of these two rotary knobs. I figure it couldn't hurt to ask, maybe someone already made one which I could modify.

Coarse Control
-----------
MIN | 60A
60A | 70A
70A | 85A
75A | 100A
85A | 110A
95A | 130A
110A | 150A
115A | 180A
120A | MAX
-----------
Fine Control
0 | 10

Last edited by mbmalone on Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Airco Heliwelder, model 3A/DDR-224HPA/B-D
LWS Kobalt Helmet / Blue Flame HF
6010 Powdered Vise Grips
Bad A$$ Orange Grinder
Chicken Hammer for Pecking Divots
    Mon May 12, 2014 12:06 am

I think you have a few options. One is to make a number of labels with a label machine and attach them at the proper points.
Second, you could take the front panel, clean it and repaint it, then make a drawing of the front panel that can be taken/sent to have a vinyl decal printed.

Glen
Miller Dynasty 200DX - Millermatic 350P - Hypertherm Powermax 45 - Hobart Handler 150

Thank you for the photo of the welder. This is what I have put together, so far.
Attachments
Untitled-1.png
Untitled-1.png (121.51 KiB) Viewed 1530 times
6010 Powdered Vise Grips
Bad A$$ Orange Grinder
    Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:34 am

What Glen said sounded best.
Just take the cover and show them what you want.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

Call Hobart
may get lucky
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)

This is a very good idea, measuring the entire front panel and having one large decal made of it, but I was really only trying to get the labels for a couple of circular knobs. If I have an editable original, I could make a new one for another machine. I am worried that the adjustment lines are not going to be correct, but if I make it myself, I can add some spaces, or whatever.

It's looking like Coreldraw might be the way to go. Easiest simplest way. Meaning to make a perfect circle, paste in the settings and select Fit Text to Path in CorelDraw. I don't know how to make the equally divided teeth and all that. I just thought to get a print laminated, then cut it out and stick it on there. The large label print might be better just to label the switches, but not the divisions on a rotary wheel. I am taking all suggestions on the thread. If I already knew the best way, I wouldn't be asking anyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP-8AUVtiX4
GlenC wrote: Second, you could take the front panel, clean it and repaint it, then make a drawing of the front panel that can be taken/sent to have a vinyl decal printed.
6010 Powdered Vise Grips
Bad A$$ Orange Grinder
    Mon May 12, 2014 12:06 am

I assume the welder has stops for each of the power settings.... you can draw it and print on plain paper, cut to fit the dial and test and adjust as necessary...
Glen
Miller Dynasty 200DX - Millermatic 350P - Hypertherm Powermax 45 - Hobart Handler 150

Yes, the coarse adjustments has stops, the fine adjustment doesn't. I plan to head over there with a ruler and take a few measurements. I don't think those stops are equally spaced and the 0 - 10 knob also does not turn all the way around 360 degrees.

I can guesstimate, but I'm trying to help my brother who doesn't use it very often. Something better than just scratch marks for 90A with a digging arc and 90A with a soft buttery arc. It's harder to set without any markings, for a non-pro.
GlenC wrote:I assume the welder has stops for each of the power settings.... you can draw it and print on plain paper, cut to fit the dial and test and adjust as necessary...
6010 Powdered Vise Grips
Bad A$$ Orange Grinder

I think I've finally found how to do it yourself, where can customize the spacing of the divisions. It does not look difficult to do, if you go by this tutorial and have a copy of CorelDraw. He use 15 degree increments (large divisions) and 30 deg increments (small divisions) in the example

"One of the more common items that we need to engrave is a dial. If you do any work for industrial customers than you will need to be able to master this technique. Doing a dial in CorelDraw is easy it just requires a little more thought when you are doing it. In this lesson we will show you how to create a dial that is composed of two different length strokes. Each stroke will be at a different degree on a circle."

http://www.engrave.ca/archives/3771

Hopefully this will help someone.
Attachments
media_1278621595688.png
media_1278621595688.png (22.95 KiB) Viewed 1471 times
6010 Powdered Vise Grips
Bad A$$ Orange Grinder
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

You can make a new sticker/decal with GIMP http://www.gimp.org/ or InkScape http://www.inkscape.org/en/

Print the reverse image of your artwork with a color laserprinter,
then soak the paper with paint thinner and apply it to the area that you want to transfer it to.
When the paint thinner evaporates, you will be left with a new decal, permanently painted to your welder.
mbmalone wrote:I was wondering if anyone had some kind of template for a rotary dial, so I could replace the two missing stickers on a Hobart Champion 16 Welder Generator which looks nearly identical to this one?

I believe it's from 1995 and those settings are long gone.

I know the divisions and could simply mark them on the machine with a permanent marker, but I was hoping for a circular sticker or something I could fasten under both of these two rotary knobs. I figure it couldn't hurt to ask, maybe someone already made one which I could modify.

Coarse Control
-----------
MIN | 60A
60A | 70A
70A | 85A
75A | 100A
85A | 110A
95A | 130A
110A | 150A
115A | 180A
120A | MAX
-----------
Fine Control
0 | 10

That sounds awesome. I have both Gimp and Coreldraw.
I measured the diameters of the two controls today. 6 1/2" and 2 1/2"
WerkSpace wrote:You can make a new sticker/decal with GIMP http://www.gimp.org/ or InkScape http://www.inkscape.org/en/

Print the reverse image of your artwork with a color laserprinter,
then soak the paper with paint thinner and apply it to the area that you want to transfer it to.
When the paint thinner evaporates, you will be left with a new decal, permanently painted to your welder.
6010 Powdered Vise Grips
Bad A$$ Orange Grinder