General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

I know some of you have seen this on WW, so please forgive the redundancy, but I thought it bore repeating here. I bought a second hand AHP alphatig, knowing it would be a risk. Bought off a guy in Brooklyn who didn't have power for me to test it. But the price was right if it worked ($300) and low enough to take a risk on. Of course it doesn't work. I called AHP tech support and got voice mail. Left a message and someone called me back the next day. He gave me an email address, asked me to try a couple things and follow up by email. Now they have fallen off the face of the earth. I knew it would be out of warranty, and I offered to pay to have it fixed. I wasn't asking for anything free! The guy seemed really nice the one time I spoke with him. But Now they have gone completely silent, no answer to any phone messages or emails. Oh well, glad I don't have a lot of bucks into this thing. If you are considering AHP, buyer beware.
Multimatic 255
    Fri May 16, 2014 8:34 pm

Here's what i would do.

You already took a gamble, why not double-down for the price of shipping? Ship the thing to the sales people or service addy if you can find one and see what happens. If it or a replacement comes back (or if dialogue gets established), you win! Somebody somewhere knows that dead machines "in circulation" do not help their sales.

If not, you don't have to look at the yellow doorstop with knobs any more.

Thanks for reminding me don't buy used if i can't light it up...no matter the case color.
Last edited by Wade Patton on Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Not a bad idea. except for the fact that it then starts to get more expensive than trashing this one and getting a brand new one from Amazon. At some point you hit diminishing returns. I am right on the cusp on this one. They supposedly have a repair center in NJ. I work in NJ a couple of times a month. I would drive it there if I knew where.

Its just so frustrating because this is all so preventable. Just answer the phone.
Multimatic 255

Yeah you don't have to tell them what you paid for it. You just have to get a sympathetic ear/face. Don't throw good money after bad. Just get the machine in front of them. See where it goes.
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

That machine is a 110/220 volt machine was the sellers power turned off - could have tested on 110.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Mike wrote:That machine is a 110/220 volt machine was the sellers power turned off - could have tested on 110.

Louie met the guy in the Home Depot parking lot if I'm not mistaken.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:42 am

Man that sux. I got mine delivered for $725 brand new. I've only had it 4 months.... Hope it holds up!

The AHP guys are stand up guys. Even though I didn't buy this welder from them, I got a call from them tonight, and they offered me several options that are all very fair. I have to change my opinion of them.
Multimatic 255

Well good deal, makes me feel a little better about my purchase in case I have problems. The only thing I wish this machine had is variable frequency.

Great! I had hoped for such. Keep us informed please.

I was a bit deflated after i ciphered that so many reviews are faked. Some "reviewers" aren't "genuine" for sure.

Saving some nickels to get rigged with TIG soon! Sooner is better and the AHP looks to offer more for less than the green machines.

I gotta have A/C and want dual voltage must have a footfeed. Appears that the FF is optional extra equipment for the Everlast. There is inconsistency in all i read as to what is/is not included.

I have to say the AHP folks have been EXTREMELY fair with me, and I have a brand new welder showing up mid next week. They are also very responsive now. Once I have it in hand and have some time to run it, I will post back. To date my TIG experience is limited to one of Zapster's (welding web guy) one day TIG clinics, and a bunch of time doing scratch start TIG with my Hobart Stickmate. I am hoping that having a foot pedal will help get me to the next level. That being said, take my reviews with a grain of salt since I haven't had a lot of experience on a bunch of different machines. But for sure it will not be a fake review.
Multimatic 255

Louie1961 wrote:I have to say the AHP folks have been EXTREMELY fair with me, and I have a brand new welder showing up mid next week. They are also very responsive now. Once I have it in hand and have some time to run it, I will post back. To date my TIG experience is limited to one of Zapster's (welding web guy) one day TIG clinics, and a bunch of time doing scratch start TIG with my Hobart Stickmate. I am hoping that having a foot pedal will help get me to the next level. That being said, take my reviews with a grain of salt since I haven't had a lot of experience on a bunch of different machines. But for sure it will not be a fake review.

Wow!!

Try that stunt with Lincoln or MIller :?

That's impressive.

Let us know how it turns out.

~John

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

AKweldshop wrote:
Louie1961 wrote:I have to say the AHP folks have been EXTREMELY fair with me, and I have a brand new welder showing up mid next week. They are also very responsive now. Once I have it in hand and have some time to run it, I will post back. To date my TIG experience is limited to one of Zapster's (welding web guy) one day TIG clinics, and a bunch of time doing scratch start TIG with my Hobart Stickmate. I am hoping that having a foot pedal will help get me to the next level. That being said, take my reviews with a grain of salt since I haven't had a lot of experience on a bunch of different machines. But for sure it will not be a fake review.

Wow!!

That's impressive.

~John
Not sure what you mean John since my local miller store honors the warranty even if the machine changes hands.
Several guys have even reported getting help out of warranty on spendy parts.

I'm glad he's getting help with his machine, but trying to run down other companies over it doesn't make sense to me.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

MinnesotaDave wrote:
AKweldshop wrote:

Wow!!

That's impressive.

~John
Not sure what you mean John since my local miller store honors the warranty even if the machine changes hands.
Several guys have even reported getting help out of warranty on spendy parts.

I'm glad he's getting help with his machine, but trying to run down other companies over it doesn't make sense to me.

I'm impressed that AHP shipped him a brand new welder. Without seeing the other one.
They didn't have him ship it back to them for testing, and Louie, did they request you to ship the first welders carcass back to them?

Louie,
Let us know how it works out, and how the new machine performs.

~John

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

http://www.weld.com/index.php/mr-tig

AHP review Jody and Wyatt Trade cedit due each other at times
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)

No offense, but I have hard time with Mr. TIG. he looses credibility with me after watching some of his videos.
Multimatic 255

John, yes, they asked me to ship the old welder back. They did a cross ship though.
Multimatic 255
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Louie1961 wrote:... They did a cross ship though.
Wouldn't it be ironic if those ships passed in the night?
:D

Steve S

Louie1961 wrote:No offense, but I have hard time with Mr. TIG. he looses credibility with me after watching some of his videos.
I just watched his video on the AHP 200X and can tell you he didn't have a clue what the start and end amp settings are used for. He talked about using it with the foot pedal and they really only are used in 4t mode, which isn't used with the foot pedal.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

That's why I don't make videos...

I'm not prepared to show publicly just how much I don't know!

Steve S

was not crediting either one, or making them equal.
Only that they each acknowledge the other
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe

Louie1961 wrote:No offense, but I have hard time with Mr. TIG. he looses credibility with me after watching some of his videos.
was not crediting either one, or making them equal.
Only that they each acknowledge the other
Not trying to stir the pot
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe

Well, in his defense, the manual that comes with it isn't worth the paper it is printed on. I'm contrast, the one for my thermal arc 181i is very thorough.
Antorcha
    Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:57 am

Senior TEEG is like watching the Pillsbury Doughboy while on acid :lol:
Difference is I can TIG better while ON acid :roll: :mrgreen:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy_9r71dMmg

Antorcha wrote:Senior TEEG is like watching the Pillsbury Doughboy while on acid :lol:
Difference is I can TIG better while ON acid :roll: :mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy_9r71dMmg
[x] Like