General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

I recently acquired an old International Harvester sickle bar with a new tractor and it needs A LOT of work. It is fully functional but the guy who had it was a "farming noob" and didn't know how to use it properly. None of the guards are the same and half are broken in places and need welded. I recently repaired an old cast carburetor on a Ford 8n with Tig using ER70S2 filler and it did amazing. I didn't have anything to preheat with and so I just went at it a little at a time and it worked. No leak and when I torqued the bolts it didn't crack out. My question is, what is the best way to weld cast if you don't have nickel rods or a way of preheating? I have to weld half the guards up which luckily they are broke in places that don't take much damage, if used right. I welded one up with tig like I did the carburetor and it did amazing, sunk in good and looked good. They will not be inspected, does not have to be perfect. What do you all recommend?
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt
    Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:34 am

The carb won't really have much stress put on it, this probably will.
You can get one of those propane fire starter things and a BBQ tank?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

The crack was on the side of the bowl where the bolt goes to hold it on the tractor. It didn't break out when I torqued the bolts down. I just wonder if anyone else has tried it this way or what ways does everyone else recommend?
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Matt,
I have heard many success stories with regular steel filler. There are videos I think by Lincoln on welding cast without pre or post heat but they are using nickel rods. My best advise is run short sections and peen in between weld passes and when done wrap it with insulation or a blanket so it can cool a little slower. Another suggestion is to grab a little propane torch and use it for what pre heat you can but more importantly to try and get a uniform heat for the post heat. It is just a thought.
Keep us posted.
-Jonathan
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

I've had some success by using old piston rings as filler. It has the proper amount of nickel in it.
APE516
    Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:55 pm

I weld cast everyday. Your carb was probably cast steel if it did so well. Your other pieces might be cast iron where you might run into a problem welding with 70 wire. Everybody yells preheat. I've done it with none with good results. I'd try a stainless rod. 309. Either way, if it's steel or iron, it should hold. When a steel breaks at work and there's a large build up we use Eureka 505. Which is a stainless. Hope I can help