General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:34 am

Greetings all. I'm just wondering if there are any other members here who are in a wheelchair and if so, what problems have they run into when welding and what were their solutions? I have had to rebuild foot controls to be finger controlled and also learn the hard way about protective leathers, etc.. I've had some bad burns due to not being able to feel my legs.
Attachments
This is why one should always wear their leather.
This is why one should always wear their leather.
image.jpg (60 KiB) Viewed 3550 times
We are not lawyers nor physicians, but welders do it in all positions!

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
Victor Oxygen-acetylene torch
Miller/Lincoln Big 40-SA200 hybrid
gamble
    Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:10 pm

How did that happen? Drop something on yourself?
Maybe put a welding blanket over your legs? Torchwear makes a blanke that is really expensive but they also have a small towel
http://torchwear.com/torch-towel.php
I think they have an apron that may help a little too.
    Fri May 16, 2014 8:34 pm

My friend Steve Garro brazes (dripping flux yo) from a wheelchair every day he works. Coconino Cycles is him, near Flagstaff.

http://www.coconinocycles.com/ one of the best bike makers in the business, despite his constant pain/injuries/limited ambulatory ability.

I know that doesn't answer any questions, but I find Steve a constant source of inspiration. He now arm bikes and kayaks in his "spare" time. Hot metal/fixtures/equipment nip us all now and then. Steve had a pretty ugly ankle area burn not too long ago.

I'm not sure exactly what caused the burn. My pants weren't burned at all. I had spent most of the day in my shop tinkering and welding. I now wear a leather apron and leather ankle/boot covers. I've still picked up the odd burn here and there but they have been small ones. Can't be too careful. I live about 4 hours from Flagstaff. I'll have to make a trip one of these days. I'd love to talk shop with another chairman.

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
gamble
    Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:10 pm

I know it sounds stupid, but maybe setup a camera from a distance and watch it after your done to see what possibles could happen?
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Xwrench,
I'm not sure what process you use most, but I would think if you were to use Tig it would lessen the chances of a stray spark from splatter causes your clothes catching fire.

I for one can't imagine what it takes to get everything into position to be able to weld at or above the chair's level. I see why an overhead crane and trolly would be a great help to you.

It would be nice to find others in your area that are interested in welding and be able to set up a communal shop with ammentities in place to help facilitate being productive. I don't think you're the only one who's lost the use of their limbs but hasn't lost their creativeness. All of these cost money and finding others to share in the cost as well as the benefits would be a win win.

I saw a man once moving heavy machine shop equipment around with a dolly made from a handheld power threader with drive wheels and a set of tank rollers. I could see where this would help you move things around the shop while remaining in your chair.

We have a lot of people here with very creative minds and loads of experience that could come up with many ideas to make your shop more user freindly. If you provide the problems, which we have no idea exist, maybe we can work on solutions. Maybe in the end we can also help others in your situation remain creative.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len

Me sitting at my welding bench made from unfinished wood stove
Me sitting at my welding bench made from unfinished wood stove
image.jpg (72.15 KiB) Viewed 3486 times
Braehill, I really like your suggestion; the creativity of many minds vs just one. As future challenges await, I'm sure it'll come in handy. I just recently converted an unfinished wood burning stove I'd started to build before my accident into a nice roll under welding table. My chair fits under it nicely and it keeps me pretty well covered from sparks and heat. I do still wear my leather too. Haven't had any more problems with getting burnt since.

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
    Fri May 16, 2014 8:34 pm

xwrench wrote:...I live about 4 hours from Flagstaff. I'll have to make a trip one of these days. I'd love to talk shop with another chairman.
Give him a call. He's pretty busy, but might find some time for talking it over with ya. He talks about slowing down some, but there are no signs of that.

Best.
kwelder
    Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:09 pm

Hi
i am a student taking an engineer course i was having a conversation about welding. And a debate about people in wheelchairs and if they should be aloud to take welding classes. I argued they should but i don't know any one how is in a wheelchair that welds untill i stumbled on to this page. I don't mean to be rude
but i was wonudering if you could explain how you manage and if some in my college did whish to weld and what they would possibly need to have put in place. would be most greatfull for you thoughts and any photos and any famous name that and help my student debate
many thanks
kay

JUST PAST My level 3 diploma in engineering in the UK, now going to do the extended part and I have to design and may be build a project, I have just seen a you tube about Jordan kay a wheel chair welding student how's college modified a wheel chair for him I'm going to try and convince my college to let me take this on as my project and see if I can build some thing other student or wheel chair user and improve on it. so I am still researching my colleges email 3075915@ilt.bcot.ac.uk so any ideas and advice would be most great full will start this in September so will keep you up dated
Last edited by kwelder on Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

There is a couple folks over on Welding Web forum that are wheelchair users, they have their home shops designed around access. Others have limited use of one arm, hand. So they made adaptations for that.
    Sun May 01, 2016 7:46 am

When I was younger working in the cold bundled up in Carhartt's etc. I would burn myself up every now and then, over time I came to recognize the smell of things that were not supposed to be burning. When I smell it, I stop and look.
AWS D1.1 / ASME IX / CWB / API / EWI / RWMA / BSEE
Scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." Nikola Tesla
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

You're on the right track IMO, researching other peoples setups.
I would go to a leather worker and have a a suitably sized apron custom made to your leg size and chair clearance requirements, easy to fit/remove and gives total protection from sparks, slag etc. Gotta be better for you than "anyone smell smoke?"
Shop setup, you by now know what you need, heights and spacing etc, they are usually a work in progress until you're happy with the setup, you know how it goes.
Cheers
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....

My shop is in a constant state of evolution. I'm not sure I'll ever be completely satisfied with it. I love seeing how other folks organize theirs. I'm not quite the polar opposite of a neat freak, so anything that helps keep things neat and organized is of great help to me. When I had my service truck, everything had a specific place and it was great. I haven't gotten to that point yet in my shop.
Cheers
-EB

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I recently bought some leather stuff from a shop in London. Through etsy. Kingsley Leather. High end hand crafted and hand stitched. I paid a lot just for a billfold, but based on the quality of workmanship I got it will last a lifetime. Even though he's halfway around the world from me I'm thinking I might see if he'll make me a heavy duty apron.
I have more questions than answers

Josh