General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Boycie
    Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:55 am

Hi Folks

I've just bought a used 160amp Tig welder. The welder came with a WP9F torch which is rated to 125amp. I was thinking of getting a WP17 but the welder doesn't take a foot pedal, and the torch uses a 2 pin female socket for the hand switch.

Q. Can I just buy any WP17 torch with a hand switch and put a 2 pin female socket on the end, or am I limited to the ones on the bay?

One thing I've found when looking at torches with switches is they don't give any info on the connector?

Please forgive me if this sounds like a dumb question but I am new to TIG welding.

Thanks for any help

Boycie
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

Since you are from UK I would recommend you to look at Parweld torches http://www.parweld.co.uk/product-catego ... g-torches/

I have their 9- 20- and 26-torch. You can easily put on the connector that fits your welder to any of them.
Boycie

Thanks very much your reply,

It's funny you should mention the Parweld torches as those were the ones I was looking at.

As stated in my previous post they don't say what switch connector comes with them (if any) so I take it I you have to buy your own for Parweld torches?
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Very few brands of welder share connectors or pin out configuration so when shopping for torches you can buy one as a spare part from the supplier of that brand giving a model number & expect the correct one fitted - you can buy from a decent welding supply & if the machine is well supported here they will be able to source the correct plug & fit to any torch you like - both of these options will be stupidly expensive as a rule - if you order a torch you can clip the entire switch assembly / lead / plug off your old one to the majority of non Euro style torches - or order it with a switch which will come just with the wires bared at the end to re-fit your plug from the old torch or if the welder is an import it will probably have a 2pin common connector used on most machines & plasma cutters - these plugs are very easy & cheap to buy - you can fit them to any torch - or if you buy an Ebay torch it will probably come with one anyway - they also sell the chassis socket so you can add one to a machine that uses a unique or hard to find plug - leaving the original in place - unless you have better LWS than I do your probably better off buying from " Shop River " on Ebay - they have virtually anything you need for Tig at good prices & quality that is adequate for all but production work - delivery is usually around 10 days on bigger items.
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

You can order the Parweld torch with a plug, about 32 different to choose from
http://www.parweld.co.uk/wp-content/upl ... _Order.pdf

My latest came with the new welder with the correct 14-pin socket, the other ones I simply cut off and added the plug that fitted the welder.

If you want to buy from River weld it might be easier to go thru their regular website rather than ebay

http://www.riverweldstore.com/index.php ... 5810ppc6l1
Boycie

Thanks very much guys this has made things so much easier to understand.

I'm gonna see how I get on with the WP9 torch first off as I may not even need a bigger torch. But these things are always good to know.

Thanks again

Boycie
wheresmejumper
    Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:14 pm

:D
Attachments
boycie_only_fools_and_horses_harry_bewley_music_youtube.png
boycie_only_fools_and_horses_harry_bewley_music_youtube.png (271.53 KiB) Viewed 802 times
Dancing with the blue lady
Boycie

Marleene!!