General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
beerrun
    Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:39 pm

Friend of mind crashed his 2014 Jeep, bent both tubes out of hoghead. He thinks i can fix it... anyone had any experience at welding cold roll to cast?
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

beerrun wrote:Friend of mind crashed his 2014 Jeep, bent both tubes out of hoghead. He thinks i can fix it... anyone had any experience at welding cold roll to cast?

It might stick, but will crack under the lightest load.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Using Ni-Rod would be my choice. I've used 309 in a pinch as well
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
johnnyg
    Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:56 am

IF you think you want to do it... 55ni rod would be best!
    Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:34 am

If it's structural to the drive ability of the jeep, I wouldn't touch it. Too big of reliability issue.
Fails and someone dies, you're responsible.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

Wait. What is cast that you would be welding on a 2014 jeep and why isn't he taking it to a body shop or having the insurance company looking at it?
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Very valid points Sammy. Never even occurred to me.

Mick
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

some times cast/forged steel parts are confused with cast iron due to appearance
if it is suspension parts, replace
safety first
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

some times cast/forged steel parts are confused with cast iron due to appearance
if it is suspension parts, replace
safety first
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
Sprockmonster
    Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:59 pm

Are you sure its not plastic?!?[SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH][SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]... Nowadays all these companies are trying to cut the weight... [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH][SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES]
jwright650
    Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:27 pm

beerrun wrote:Friend of mind crashed his 2014 Jeep, bent both tubes out of hoghead. He thinks i can fix it... anyone had any experience at welding cold roll to cast?
Are those axle tubes plug welded into the cast housing from the factory like the older stuff was? My 70 Camaro had a half inch of grease around those joints where the tubes were pressed in and plug welded at the factory. I cleaned off the grease to find the source was those factory plug welds that had burned all the way through and were leaking through the factory plug welds. Took me a few tries to get the area clean enough to repair those welds(already had the axle out and apart putting in a posi-carrier), so it wasn't too bad of a job.

I'm leaning towards what these other guys are suggesting about leaving it alone due to liability issues...it's a sue happy world we live in today.
John Wright
AWS Certified Welding Inspector
NDT Level II UT, VT, MT and PT
NACE CIP Level I Coating Inspector