General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
dsmabe
    Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:50 pm

So I've been watching welding videos for quite awhile, Jody, chucke2009, and mr. Tig. On weld.coms youtube, he offered a at home kit to certify for a a particular weld. This kit was SUPPOSED to be available on his store, but I've looked and looked, and it isn't on his site. So my question, is there anywhere else that has kits available to certify for different welds/joints?
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

would it be more like a practice kit for a given set of parameters? Cant see how you could certify by yourself in you garage. Unless you send the coupons away, but still has traceability issues. Miguel could weld test plates all day and then sell them to the highest bidder.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

dsmabe wrote:So I've been watching welding videos for quite awhile, Jody, chucke2009, and mr. Tig. On weld.coms youtube, he offered a at home kit to certify for a a particular weld. This kit was SUPPOSED to be available on his store, but I've looked and looked, and it isn't on his site. So my question, is there anywhere else that has kits available to certify for different welds/joints?
dsmabe,
I started following those videos too but have not watched them all. Here is the thing. You can in fact certify out of your garage so to speak. Anyone who has a SSN can get a qualification or certification. Here is the catch. You must submit a WPS aand/or a PQR to the testing lab to which they will test your plate/pipe to. Upon passing the test, you are qualified to weld to that procedure. YOU own and maintain that procedure, are only qualified to weld to that procedure and your qualification is not recognized by anyone else. True for your resume it shows skill to pass a test and will help get a interview but that is about it. If you want to come work for us, it does not matter how many certs you have we will make you retake them under our supervision. There are however, a few exceptions where carrying your own certs are a good thing but as a general rule no. Note in the qualification provided, I am qualified under the supervision of......making it only valid to that company or person.

I am not talking you out of obtaining some qualifications but know also that they can get very expensive, especially if you were to fail a few. If you own your own company than you will be fine.

As for where to get testing plates, Triangle Engineering, Welder Training & Testing Institute and the testing lab we certify at Total Quality Testing, Inc, are a few that I know of that sell test plates/pipes. If you call Total Quality Testing ask for Mark Demchak and tell him I sent you his way.
-Jonathan
Attachments
Sample cert
Sample cert
photo (2).JPG (150.56 KiB) Viewed 1327 times
dsmabe

Thanks a lot, the only reason I'm looking to do it is because my dad may be building another drag car. Not a funny car or top fuel or anything, but one that is fast enough and we would be putting a roll cage in it.
I would rather certify my procedure before hand where IF he has to have the cage x-rayed then we done have to possibly reweld the cage because of a faulty procedure.
His current car was welded by a friend of his at the time and I can't say it would pass any test, but is sound overall.
jwright650
    Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:27 pm

Question for the OP:
What welding code does the NHRA and other racing entities use to qualify welding personnel and welding procedures to?

I would try to obtain that info and a copy of the rules and regulations governing your class of racing before attempting to build or test anything. This may get you on the right path and keep you from wasting money performing the testing and qualifications that still won't satisfy the governing body responsible for inspecting the work before allowing you to make a pass/lap in your racecar.

Let me know what you find out about all of this as you get farther into it, curious minds want to know.
John Wright
AWS Certified Welding Inspector
NDT Level II UT, VT, MT and PT
NACE CIP Level I Coating Inspector
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

If you Google the FIA rulebook, it is what most sanctioning bodies base their cage requirements off of. That being said, and NHRA certified cage has to be to their rules, and then typically they have an inspector at every major event.

You can also contact the sanctioning body in question and they will typically provide you with their rulebook, and while you are at it ask for a list of accredited testing facilities to contact to certify the finish product.
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
dsmabe

I'll have to look it up, but for the e.t. That the car would be running, mostly just visual I believe. From what I found it says mig or tig by a approved process and no grinding of welds is allowed!

I'll definitely look into it some more but for where we race, any welds I put down should be fine.
To be honest, the welds in his current car are horrible! Extremely bad fit up, welds were ground down and covered up.
If the car was to run at a Big race and the car ran maybe 1/2 sec quicker, they probably wouldn't let him race.
jwright650
    Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:27 pm

dsmabe wrote:I'll have to look it up, but for the e.t. That the car would be running, mostly just visual I believe. From what I found it says mig or tig by a approved process and no grinding of welds is allowed!

I'll definitely look into it some more but for where we race, any welds I put down should be fine.
To be honest, the welds in his current car are horrible! Extremely bad fit up, welds were ground down and covered up.
If the car was to run at a Big race and the car ran maybe 1/2 sec quicker, they probably wouldn't let him race.
Thanks...I'm very familiar with AWS structural welding certifications and whatnot but haven't had much exposure to what you are doing, so thanks for filling me in. Keep me up to date with all of what you're doing.
John Wright
AWS Certified Welding Inspector
NDT Level II UT, VT, MT and PT
NACE CIP Level I Coating Inspector
dsmabe

I've got to see what my dad wants to do still. He hasn't made up his mind if he wants to make some changes to his current car, or build a new one. If he decides to build a new one, he said he will wait until the new year. My next step will be getting in contact with someone that certifies chassis/roll cages and go from there.
If we go ahead with a new build, I'll definitely be posting about it here.