General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
RobSmith
    Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:35 am

I have just attempted to weld up a brass radiator hose neck. I used oxy/acetelene gas. I also used a brass filler rod...1/16" It was hard to see whilst welding due to the blue brazing flux creating that high white light flare. The job turned out OK. Sanded it smooth and bent it in the vise...no cracks or breakage. So I'm not sure whether this is a correct process or not. Can anyone comment on the properties of welding brass ? I've heard of tig welding this stuff... what's the go with this method.? :?:
rod burna
    Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:48 pm

first off, congrats on taking the road less traveled.. i did nearly the exact thing about a year ago, the hard line on my wifes old oldsmobile (glad its gone) that took heated coolant through the throttle body and back out to the main cracked at a union that was apparently just pressure fit together it was like a 1/4inch line coming off about a 5/8" line at 90 degrees any way I didnt see any good way of doing it other than just brazing it together but i figured i'd see about a replacement first, at Autozone they gave me the good news that the part couldnt be procured and i was forced to repair it i replied "no biggy i'll just braze it back up) the guy at the counter was like "wow, you know how to do that? kinda a dying art isnt it?" i never really looked at it that way considering my old man taught me to braze when i was like 10 so in my book if its thin and its brass its gettin brazed for sure, i havent really seen anyone tig the stuff but it seems like ive heard of it done. I salute you though because most guys can run wire.. alot of guys can stick theres a good number of tig guys but its nice to know that in a pinch you can fire up the torches and get the job done no electricity required!
When all else fails, Force prevails!