General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Mick
  • Mick
    Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:26 pm

So guys...!

Does any of you have any experience with plasma welding? I just bought a plasma welder (migatronic plasma commander), cause I wanted get some experience with it. Honestly I know very little about my own machine, but I'm planning on making some automation for the torch, and a cold wire feeder.

... So, any input? :P
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

WerkSpace has a plasma welder. I think he's the only active member with one.

Steve S
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

I had to look up MigaTronic as I hadn't heard of them before.
I found the following brochures on their website.
http://www.migatronic.com/header/brochurer

Facts about the plasma process
Basically, the plasma welding process can be described as a further development of the TIG welding process. Plasma is a condition in which the gas becomes electrically conductive (ionised) at extreme temperatures. The plasma arc is thereby an active part of the fusion process with an energy density that is up to ten times larger than the TIG arc. These extreme energies, up to 30,000°C, result in the concentrated heat zone and quick heating of the parent material – and faster establishment of the weld pool than in TIG welding. In plasma welding, virtually no welding fumes are generated.
Mick
  • Mick

Great!

Werkspace, you'd only use plasma welding as an automated process, right?
And how about the amps needed to do a weld, is it anywhere close to the needs when tig welding?

I think Migatronic really is the only Danish company to produce welders. The plasma commander is an old model.
May I ask, what kind of plasma welder do you use?
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

I bought the MultiPlaz after trying it at a friend's place. It uses water as a fuel.
I use it as a replacement for oxy/actylene welding on mostly mild steel.
Which model MigaTronic did you buy and what did it cost?
Mick wrote:Great! Werkspace, you'd only use plasma welding as an automated process, right?
And how about the amps needed to do a weld, is it anywhere close to the needs when tig welding?
I think Migatronic really is the only Danish company to produce welders. The plasma commander is an old model.
May I ask, what kind of plasma welder do you use?
Mick
  • Mick

Oh, mine is not as portabel :oops: :lol:

I've got a Migatronic Plasma Commander 240 DC. It's a 400V machine, with control box for cold wire feed. It still uses shielding gas. It uses a thermal arc dual flow torch.

The current model from Migatronic is now called Pi 350 Plasma. It's pretty coslty gear...
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

Mick wrote:Oh, mine is not as portabel :oops: :lol:

I've got a Migatronic Plasma Commander 240 DC. It's a 400V machine, with control box for cold wire feed. It still uses shielding gas. It uses a thermal arc dual flow torch.

The current model from Migatronic is now called Pi 350 Plasma. It's pretty coslty gear...
I'm wondering how different the processes are between a real "plasma" welder and the Multiplaz welders.
Mick
  • Mick

To my knowledge, the machine I have is pretty much impossible to use manually.
I'm wondering if the plasma torch also is used, when the welder is in tig-mode(?)

I have some reading to do now :lol: