General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Tlindsley
    Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:36 pm

I am a UA Steamfitter and am having neck issues. The chiropractor told me to find the lightest welding helmet I can find hoping someone has already made this discovery?
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey mate, I was having neck issues as well, though not diagnosed. I found that my problem wasn't necessarily weight but weight distribution. I had a speedglas 9002x with adflo. It would lock on to the head and had a high centre of gravity. I swapped to a speedglas 9100 which isn't much (if any) lighter but has a floating headband (distracting at first but you get used to it, once you get the adjustment dialled in) and a lower centre of gravity so doesn't put sideways strain on my neck. So far so good, 2+ years of constant daily heavy duty use and no neck problems anymore.

Just my experiences though.

Mick

Although, thinking about it, those are filter battery pack shields, so there is probably better options for the mask without the air feed.
taz
    Mon May 26, 2014 12:43 pm

I have a number of welding helmets among which a Speedglas 9100XX at 570gr (20.1 oz). Although very comfortable it is not the lightest helmet by far. Interestingly my favorite and most comfortable helmet is my Speedglas 9100FX Adflo which is the heaviest of all my helmets.
If we are talking about ADF helmets then I think the lightest is the Speedglas SL at 360gr.
Of all the helmets I have by far the lightest is the leather one in the pic

ImageWelding by Taz00, on Flickr

Exactly my sentimonies about the speedglas taz.
dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

I have a Jackson arc angel helmet they call the shell a Halo X it is a very lightweight shell. I believe I read somewhere that shell is 6oz by itself. I have the truesight lens in mine so that adds a little more weight. It is a yellow tinted lens with several sensors. They also have passive and a couple of autodarking lens available depending on what you want in it. Naturally the passive is lighter in weight. Headgear is very adjustable. can adjust for how deep your head is and how close your eyes are to lens. that prolly helps for those that use respirators under hood.

If you want pics of different parts of helmet let me know can take some for you
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.