General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
dtp1986
    Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:30 pm

hi all,im new to this forum and i appreciate any info thrown at me.i currently work at a train yard for dirt pay,ten a hour as a utility worker(cleaning tank cars,rebuilding valves,bubble leak test,etc)they pay welders ten an hour startn out(a joke)anyway im startn school for welding monday,(degree)..my question to you folks..is it honestly worth it?i messed up wen i was 18 and got two felonies.(basically judged a f*ckup the rest of my life,i live in va,the great commonwealth).i wanna make good money and wanna now in yalls opinion,the best route,degree or cert.?is welding a good career choice for my position?i can wire weld.(hell a monkey can)and im learning stick welding,any input???
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

Keep at it bro, you can get better than 10 bucks an hour. Talk to some other welders in your area or look around and see what the prevailing wage is. USUALLY the highest paid workers in the area are Union, but not always. Check out your local Pipefitters, Ironworkers, or Millwrights union and see what they pay. All those unions use alot of welders. Good luck bro, and definately stick with it. Im just starting welding school around here too and our union pays Pipewelders 38.15 an hour. And all ya gotta do is pass 2 certs :)
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?