General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
welder57
    Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:42 pm

i downloaded a hardfacing manual from lincoln which i found at this site. can't find the link but if you email me back i can send it as an attachment if you'd like
sdamico@rochester.rr.com
jakeru
    Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:30 pm

Well the weather was very nice today, I got the urge to fix my 'tiller. I just did the outer tines, the ones that matter the most. The way they are worn, they would throw the tiller sideways when they hit rocks on the outer edges of the trench being 'tilled.

I used Tig, with a torch mounted on/off switch to control the heat for the build up operation. I just got down there and did the operation right on the ground. I melted on quite a few 3/32" E72S6 filler rods on this, and probably about 150psi or so from my argon tank. It was a little windy and I did this outside, so I used the big #8 cup I usually use for stainless, and tried keeping the tungsten not stuck very far out. It seemed to work well. Setting some downslope on the machine let me vary the heat pretty effectively with the torch switch by toggling it on/off to either grow or shrink the puddle as desired. By the last time, I totally had the hang of it. :lol: I figured out how to distort the puddle shape as it was freezing by where I would hold the filler in the puddle as it was freezing - I could persuade it, either left, right, or out.

I also fixed the broken end of the clutch cable, by building up solid loop of 309L stainless right onto the broken, frayed ends of the cable.

I gave it all a try and tilled up a good trench, and it worked great! If I get more time maybe I'll build up the worn inner tines next. The only real problem with them is, every so often a rock can get flipped up and out of the ground, and can get lodged between the worn inner tine surface and the crankcase, which locks up the tiller. Building up the worn tines rectangular shaped would put an end to that for good. Maybe I'll just call it good though.

I didn't do any hard facing, but this is definitely a big upgrade from the way it was before.
Attachments
tiller_overall.JPG
tiller_overall.JPG (71.98 KiB) Viewed 1371 times
tiller_worn_tines.JPG
tiller_worn_tines.JPG (73.02 KiB) Viewed 1371 times
broken_clutch_cable.JPG
broken_clutch_cable.JPG (51.17 KiB) Viewed 1371 times
jakeru
    Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:30 pm

Here are the "after repair" pics
Attachments
fixed_clutch_cable.JPG