General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
sschefer
    Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:44 pm

This auto darkening helmet is available at Home Depot. I bought one just for setting in the middle of the driveway with a note saying.. Welding in progress wear this before proceeding.

Last night I was doing some MIG welding and decided to try this helmet. It was fine for MIG and then I switched to TIG. I made a couple of welds and called it a night. I woke up this morning with that nasty burning eye sensation and blurred near sight vision. I took the helmet back for a refund.

What I'm trying to say here is that when you go to buy a helmet for TIG welding make sure it's designed for TIG. The instructions on the package were vauge but I should have realized that HD doesn't sell anything related to TIG welding.

I've been happy with my Jackson but at noon I went and bought a Miller Elite. We'll see which one ends up in the driveway.
Highly skilled at turning expensive pieces of metal into useless but recyclable crap..
Rugar
    Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:40 pm

Your gonna love the Elite!
Millermatic 251
Spectrum 300 Plasma
Everlast PowerTig 250EX
Everlast PowerCool W300
Harris/Victor OA
Craftsman 13 Speed Drill Press
ProTools Air/Hydraulic Bender
48" Brake
Compressor, Notchers, Grinders, etc.
torn7th
    Sun May 30, 2010 12:32 am

Man never go cheap when it comes to your eyes. I use the same priciple on motorcycle helmets. There is a reason they cost more . Also i agree with the above reply i love my Miller Elites i have 3. :idea:
sschefer

The Miller Elite is nice. I used it for both Mig and Tig today. It's hard to say which one I like better (Jackson/Miller) they both have similar features. I think I'll set one up for MIG and the other for TIG and label them. That will keep me from having to remember to change settings all the time. I bought a "Keep Out" sign for the shop door.. LOL.. That'll work..
Highly skilled at turning expensive pieces of metal into useless but recyclable crap..
speed g40
    Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:05 pm

don´t go cheap,It´s your eyes....I´ve got a kemppi 90x,well it costs 400 euros,have a bunch of settings,for all the tipe of welding.
cheers
dav
  • dav
    Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:49 pm

The hockey canada Elite is sweet.....now if they would only make one for the USSR....
any way how about those titanium series? the 9400i is bad a,when i first saw it I was :shock: ,and for about the same price. Any suggestons on wich is better?
sschefer

Re the 9400i... Dunno, I have all the equipment I need for great welding now. Gotta stop chasing the golden goose and learn how to use what I have.