General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:34 am

Greeting y'all. I am looking for some good boots I can wear to protect my feet. Although I am in a wheelchair and don't use my feet, I prefer not to have them all burnt :lol:
I need a type that unlace far enough for me to slip my feet in and ensure that my toes aren't curled under. Also some that won't burn the stitches up and fall apart quickly. What do you folks like and dislike?
Cheers
Eldon
We are not lawyers nor physicians, but welders do it in all positions!

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
Victor Oxygen-acetylene torch
Miller/Lincoln Big 40-SA200 hybrid
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Gosh Eldon, thats a tough one as there are so many styles of boots out there. If you TIG everything you could wear flipflops and shorts :lol: I have been wearing sneakers when I TIG and I feel like I have way more control on the pedal than work boots. I am mounting the cup holder on my hood today so it should be a good summer :D
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.

I was wearing sneakers but my new belt sander bombarded them with a relentless shower of sparks and now all the stitching is falling apart :lol:

I am mainly interested to learn of what boots not to buy as I too loathe cheap imported crap which is increasingly hard to avoid.
Cheers
Eldon

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
exnailpounder

Eldon, you might consider some slip on leather boots...no laces to burn or tie and since you aren't walking in them, you could buy a pair big enough to get in and out of easily. I see some of the fitters wearing them and they like em.

Thanks. I think I may try the slip on ones. Just gotta get some 14 EEE lol

Cheers
Eldon

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150

Hey, exnailpounder, I've noticed you have more than a passing interest in guns. Do you belong to any forums on the subject? I have a fondness for them and a respectable collection myself and think it might be fun to chat about them. A few are definitely conversation pieces :)

Cheers
Eldon

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
exnailpounder

Eldon...I frequent a site called illinoiscarry.com I am more of a lurker but sometimes comment. It is full of arrogant jerks that think because they know a lot about guns that they are royalty. I am most interested in the news about the changes being made in Illinois shitty concealed carry law. I know a good deal about guns but most important is I know how to shoot well and have been to quite a lot of civilian training schools but unless you can field strip, clean and reassemble any gun in the world in under 3 seconds...you are considered rabble on this site. I have gotten into some serious arguments and have been warned by the mods several times about calling people out but I get a kick out of it. I like guns but my life doesnt revolve around them. And I dont even want to hear about Arizonas permitless carry either :lol: I lived in Mesa for awhile and I miss it. I loved living there.

I guess it's headed way off track, so I might as well fully hijack my own thread.
Here is a portion of my collection. :D
2014-09-13 09.28.59.jpg
2014-09-13 09.28.59.jpg (68.4 KiB) Viewed 2954 times
2014-09-13 17.27.26.jpg
2014-09-13 17.27.26.jpg (121.42 KiB) Viewed 2954 times
Cheers.
Eldon

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Nice looking transit case - interested to see the collection as here in the UK only the drug dealers can have handguns! is the scoped piece a " Contender " or are there other makes offering this style now ?
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

looks like your tool box is full!
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil

Thanks. Yes, that is a contender chambered in .45-70
No muzzle brake so it kicks like a mule. :lol:
2014-09-20 13.52.17-3.jpg
2014-09-20 13.52.17-3.jpg (107.41 KiB) Viewed 2719 times
First time firing the beast since being stuck in a wheelchair. This forced me to alter my stance. Held it a wee bit too close to my face.
definitely getting the barrel ported as soon as my buddy has some time free on his EDM machine.

Cheers.
Eldon

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
exnailpounder

A T/C Contender in 45/70....your lucky you don't have a large furrow where your head was :D . I got out of large bore long ago. I still have a .35 Rem around but only cause my Dad left it to me. I used to reload and shoot long range but the guys I ran with are all moved away now. I don't shoot as much as I like/should just because the range I like to go to is almost 2 hours away and the indoor ranges are to expensive..($25per hour).

image.jpg
image.jpg (11.16 KiB) Viewed 2712 times
:lol:

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150

I'm lucky. I can get in my rhino and in less than ten minutes be way out in the hills away from town where there's an old gravel pit with nice high berms on three sides. I love living out in the sticks.

Cheers
Eldon

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
exnailpounder

xwrench wrote:I'm lucky. I can get in my rhino and in less than ten minutes be way out in the hills away from town where there's an old gravel pit with nice high berms on three sides. I love living out in the sticks.

Cheers
Eldon
Dang Eldon, I knew you were gonna rub it in! :lol: The terminator pic is perfect! I let a guy shoot my 7mm bolt action to show off for his girlfriend once and he had his eye too close to the scope when he hit the switch. He showed off alright, about a gallon of his blood and what the bone in his forehead looked like. I was just getting ready to say don't.........too late. Looked like 6 or 8 stitches would have closed it. I had a 10ga. goose gun with 3 1/2" mags bloody my nose once and I shot a hole in my living room wall with my Glock 21while practicing with snap-caps but forgot about the live round in the chamber. Lucky I lived alone at the time. :D I have never been able to figure out how I have lived so long :lol:
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Wow - 45-70 in a handgun with what 10 maybe 12" barrel ? - so the slug kills stuff & the fireball / part burnt propellant cooks it ready to eat ? ! - dam that's some muzzle energy - you plan on hunting " Graboids " with it ?
exnailpounder

noddybrian wrote:Wow - 45-70 in a handgun with what 10 maybe 12" barrel ? - so the slug kills stuff & the fireball / part burnt propellant cooks it ready to eat ? ! - dam that's some muzzle energy - you plan on hunting " Graboids " with it ?
The 45/70 skins guts and field dresses your kill. All you have to do is keep it far enough away from your coconut that it won't kill you at the same time. 8-)

Lmao@graboids. One of my all time favorite movies. I don't quite have Burt Gummer's rec room but I think the 45-70 would at least slow one down :lol:

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

I totally missed the Graboid reference. On my favorite movie list as well.
    Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:52 am

If you are doing bench work and not on the knees often, moc toes are good enough. I'd always wear boots when welding just due to accidental drops of material onto the feet. Even tigging you never know.

If you are on your knees a lot, getting something like a round toe or tough toe is going to last longer than an unprotected moc. If you work in outdoor construction loggers will be your best bet.

Hope that helps.
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

If he's still needing help with his boots after 6 years I recon he's got bigger problems to deal with than his toes.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
sbaker56
    Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:12 am

Mmmm smexy, I ain't recoil shy. But while I'd do it in a heartbeat, I still suspect I'd not particularly enjoy the recoil of a 45/70 in pistol form. I hate snappy guns, Give me a K frame .357 magnum with a 4" barrel and I"ll gleefully shoot that right handed, lefted handed, both handed, or any combentation of the three until my ammo runs out. Likewise a 10mm in the 1911 platform, when it can be made to work perfectly, Is one my favorite combinations ever, having a steel frame slow down the snap makes it an absolute joy to shoot at any load level. But give me a subcompact polymer .40SW or tiny snubnose 38, I genuinely don't like the sensation of having my hand slapped repeatedly. I'd gladly shoot anything up to a 5" or longer barreled .44 mag with whatever underwood or +P loads you gave me, but I think above that, it would fall into the catagory of immediately being sold or traded for something for reasonable. But I'm also more the magdump into trash or AR500 plates type shooter, My mentality has never really been as much about if I could handle firing it so much as if I'd still enjoy shooting it around 200 rounds into a range session.