General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:47 am

New to welding here and one of the first projects I see happening is trying to get just any kind of reasonably reliable 220 outlet out to my garage. Like as in me running new conduit starting from my house junction box in the basement, going 2 ft along a cinder block wall, and then turning to go through the wall and continue underground for about 25 ft, where it would pass through another cinder block wall and into my garage.

If it gets to that point I'll have some good advice on site for sure, but for now I guess I'm just wanting to evaluate from the welder consumption side of things if my plan seems feasible.

My house was built in the 50s and although most of it's wiring is fairly dated, everything stays cool as long as too many space heaters aren't added. Both the line coming in and the main house electrical box are newer than 15 years so I'm hoping that's somewhat of a good start. Right now the only 220v current user on the system is the clothes dryer which works from only about a 5 ft line straight off the box, and I don't believe it's ever tripped it's breaker. The run I'm proposing would be in total a 35 ft run from the main house box out to the garage.

Knowing what yall do about how much current the higher end welders pull, what are the prospects I'll actually be able to get a good supply line out to my shop worth the effort of digging the conduit trench for?

Thanks

Little update, looks like I'm dealing with 208 instead.

Any advice at all?
mister bobo
    Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:23 pm

sounds like you are on the right track. Need to figure out how much juice you are going to be pulling-you don't want to be running a 300 amp dialarc on 12/3 on a 50' run. Simply put, figure how much you are going to be pulling so you can install the proper size wire, for the length of run. This should avoid overheating your wire, machine, etc...The size of wire for amperage is easy enough to find on the web.
I am not an electrician, just have done this sort of thing before. I was running a 300 Amp dialarc HF on a 20' run, only had 10/0, not enough. An electrician recomended I go 6/0 for that run and machine.
take care-
mister bobo

Thanks so much mister bobo. I think your very right that I should design my electrical according to the specific machine I'll be running.

Can anyone explain a little to me about 'phase' as in 1-phase 2-phase 3-phase? Thanks!
rumrunner
    Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:02 pm

To put it VERY simply, single phase has one power (or "hot") lead.3 phase has 3 hot leads.I've never heard of 2 phase.Single phase has a neutral lead that returns to ground.3 phase returns through the other two leads-ac means alternating current.No offense intended but you're wanting to do a job that needs a qualified electrician.They make good money for a reason.You have to figure out the requirements of the machine and then size your circuit properly with protection.Also you must determine if your supply can handle the demand.I don't mean to discourage you but you must get the proper training or you could be in for disaster.If you can't or won't hire someone then take the time to learn everything you need to know.I'll be happy to help if I can.

Thanks for all the advice rumrunner. I've recently taught myself stuff like line voltage drop formulas etc, but really you're right. I def need professional advice on this. Machine I've got my sights set on is the Syncrowave 250 DX. I just hope I can get enough juice out there.
jamejone
    Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:03 am

To start what size is the main ccircut breaker. At best it probably only 200 amps. You can not exceed that but if your are running a 208/220 system there should be no problem. Your input amps won't be as high as the output. Now as to wire - you start running greater that 6/0 wire your a fool(the higher the number the tinner the wire, but you know that). I ran a connection from the main to the guarage at about 75 ft and used 2/0 wire for 100 amps. If I wanted to increase to 200 amps I would double that. I know that this wire is expensive and I also know that there are others who are going to tell you they use smaller wire and it works for them. Well thats great and I am glad that they are happy about how they cheaped out. I want to see my 80th wedding aniverary even if they have to wheel me there. Not have my grave stone say "He save mony by using small wire! I hope his helps and I would suggest that you contact an electrican to verify the wire size.
James Jones
jamejone
    Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:03 am

Ok so you want to know about 1,2 & 3 phase wiring. Think of you wiring a water hose. the voltage is the size of the pipe and the amperage is the pressure. With 1 phase wiring you have a pipe that can handle 115 volts at higher amperage because to get the voltage out you need a predetermined amount of preassure (amperage). With 2 phase you would have twice the the flow so you can use less apmerage or now you can get a higher amperage to running an apperatius at the required amperage. With 3 phase you could go even higher with the amperage but you usually have to but in a industrial area to get it.

When you wire 1 phase you have 1 power wire and one negative plus ground. With 2 phase which you can wire in your home you wire with 2 power wires, 1 negative and a ground. With 3 phase you call an electrican to hook it up.

The formula is V*I=P v=volts, I=Amp, P=watts

115*50=5750 watts or P/I=V 5750/25=230 This proves that you will require less amperage (1/2) @ 220/230 volts to accomplish the same demands that a 110/115 circuit would require.
Also in canada we have a 208 system but 208/220/230 is the same
hope this helps
James Jones

Thanks a bunch James. Everything you've talked about has been very helpful. Feels like I'm up to speed now on the electrical side of things, although I'll still hire an electrician to get this lil project done.