General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
jrouse
    Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:17 pm

Guys any thoughts or experience with this? Is it worth getting if I do a little mig welding too? I don't have any experience with a spool gun.
    Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:48 pm

Whenever you get into multi process units, there will always be a sacrifice somewhere. I own a lincoln power mig 210 and it is an awesome mig welder with tig capability. All the bells and whistles go towards the mig and the tig feature seems to be just there so they can say its a multiprocess.

You have to ask yourself, what process are you going to need the most? I bought the lincoln 210 and now I'm in a pickle because I'm doing a lot of cast aluminum right now, which requires AC High Frequency, and I'm having to borrow my brothers tig to get jobs done while my lincoln is sitting in the corner collecting dust.

If I could do it over again I would have bought the mIller syncrowave, not because the lincoln is a bad machine, but a "TIG that does mig on the side" would suit my needs better than a "MIG that does tig on the side".

Having said that, the miller 100 series spool gun is incredible quality for the price and worth every penny. I used to have a miller 180 and did a lot of aluminum mig welding with their spool gun and I was very impressed. It's rugged, reliable, and can go beyond its recommended duty cycle. I would not hesitate to mig weld with a miller spool gun.

Hope this helps bro.
Tyler
    Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:19 pm

jrouse wrote:Guys any thoughts or experience with this? Is it worth getting if I do a little mig welding too? I don't have any experience with a spool gun.
Tweco Fabricator 252i. Way better duty cycle, Way cheaper 200 amp spool gun than Miller or Lincoln comparible. Stick, DC TIG. Lots of new tech. Cyberweld and some other online shops have great prices. Still enough money left over vs Syncrowave price to buy a Lincoln Squarewave 200 or Everlast 250EX AC/DC TIG.
Jim S.
Miller 211 Autoset
Everlast 255EXT
Everlast Water Cooler (2)
Everlast PowerPlasma 80S
Longevity 250MP
Lincoln 350MP Aluminum
Hypertherm 30Air
Everlast 350EXT