General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

I know its not a victor/harris/smith, but has anyone ever bought/used one of these? I need a cheap cutting torch setup, and its half the price of the big three, but I'm hesitant. I spose you get what you pay for right?

Link to the page-
http://www.lowes.com/pd_81283-1703-KH65 ... ng%2Btorch

If it asks to enter a zip code, enter 89121. They do local area pricing/availibility and whatnot.

edit-I'm probably never going to be cutting anything thicker than 1".
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

After doing some digging, I also found this one at northerntool
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200381819

Its alot cheaper too. Only thing I see wrong with it is a 12ft hose instead of a 25 ft.
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
sschefer
    Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:44 pm

My experience with tools of any type is to get your hands wrapped around them before you buy. You'd be suprised and the way a cutting or welding torch feels between different brands. I guarantee that there will be at least one along the way the just won't feel right.

I have a Victor torch set that I got 30 years ago. I just the other day joined the plasma cutter club. I would seriously take a good look at that option if that's all you need it for. Both of the kits you're looking at are light weight setups for brazing and thin metal cutting. Beyond that they're pretty much useless.

Think about stepping up if you think there might be a bigger project in your future. You can always make a mid size torch set perform very well on thin metals with simple tip changes.

Oh, almost forgot to mention that the cost of the tanks, gas and torch set will equal the cost of an Everlast plasma cutter.
Highly skilled at turning expensive pieces of metal into useless but recyclable crap..
rickbreezy
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:08 pm

I have used both victor and smith(and a few generics), but never harris or lincoln. in addition, i have used mid sized, and proffesional sizes of both these brands(and non brands). To tell the truth, there doesnt seem to be a difference in brand at all, as far as quality goes. the size of the torch matters, as well as the head, and even the user. The one thing i have noticed, is that name brand torches seem to operate better with age, although another factor could be that since a name brand torch costs several hundred dollers, people tend to maintain them better, instead of simply letting them rot and going out to buy a new one.

I pesonally own a harbour freight mid-size torch, which i got on sale with hose, goggles, striker, and a few extra tips for 89 dollers. I use it to cut 1/4-1/2 inch mild carbon steel plating, and it does just fine, granted I only use it when my employers cant come up with a decent torch, or need a mid sized one for its small size(fitting in tight spaces).

If you are a hobbyist, i would recommend a generic. If you are a proffesional, i still think i would reccomend a generic. But thats just me.

Also, I'm sure you can find plenty of torches on craigslist for sale pretty cheap, but you may have to re-furbish them(new heads,gaskets).

and if you are diassapointed with a generic, i have heard(though i have no personal experiance) that the regulaters are really what matters anyway, and you can go buy those peice meal for a lesser price.

hope this helps,
-Rick
anthonyfawley
    Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:58 pm

I have a set. They are made by Harris. I like them. I also have a couple sets of victor as well and dont see much of a difference in the two. What I dont like thou is that you cant swap tips between the harris and victor. but if I were you I would stay away from the generic ( Harbour Frieght). Guages dont last, o-rings dont last and after a few uses they cut like shit.
Just my 2 cents
Anthony
sschefer
    Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:44 pm

Just FYI: Lincoln owns Harris, doesn't mean anything except that those might be Harris Torches.
Highly skilled at turning expensive pieces of metal into useless but recyclable crap..
welder57
    Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:42 pm

i found out that the lincoln products sold @ lowes are made specifically by lincoln for lowes, such as the lincoln pro-mig 180 i priced at lowes and the lincoln power-mig 180 i bought at hahn welding. actually they are different models, different warranties. watch closely. i received from lincoln a rebate on the power-mig 180 where as the pro-mig didnt offer one. almost found out the hard way. i was told the same is true for hobart products sold at tractor supply and the like. do your research