General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
plumber666
    Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:33 pm

Hey guys, lowly plumber/pipefitter here looking humbly for help from you awesome welders. My boss is the real steamfitter in the family, but he's holidaying in Thailand, and I'm left here in snowy western Canada trying to bid a really cool pipe job. Love playing with his money when he's out of town! 8-)
All of the pipe sections on this project are weld flange on one end and victaulic grooves on the other. All the fittings are flange.
What I'm trying to estimate is the cost per weld. The other stuff I'm OK with.
The welds are all sched 10 SS TIG 16" and 12".
I've got old school estimate sheets that are for steel arc weld and go up to 12". They say 4.6 hrs per 12" joint. I haven't fit TIG in quite a while, but think there's more time involved. This stuff isn't nitrogen purged or anything.
So, cost per joint in each size? Labour factor per joint and ballpark for rods 'n stuff?
I'd appreciate anything you guys have to offer. My go-to guy in town here is a super welder, but he's out of the country too.
anthonyfawley
    Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:58 pm

plumber666 wrote:I've got old school estimate sheets that are for steel arc weld and go up to 12". They say 4.6 hrs per 12" joint.
4.5 hours for a 12" flange stick welded? Thats like double the time it takes maybe more. If you use those times for tig you should be OK. as for the rod it depends on how many welds. Maybe figure 1 to 2 rods per pass
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

Dunno if this helps, but I was always told-"Figure how many hours it would take ya and multiply it by two. Figure how many apprentice hours and multiply by 1.5" :) I always woosed out and lowered it a little, specially these days. But that should get ya ball park.
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?