General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
BooRadley
    Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:07 am

...require electricity?

The reason I ask is I was looking at this pipeliner helmet (on a website, not in person) that is being sold with an 'autodarkening filter'. I know what a lens is, or a glass is. But a filter? In theory, I know what it is. But is an auto darkening 'filter' really an auto darkening glass, or something else?

I have only ever seen the meat and potatoes pipeliner in person. I never saw one with an autodarkening thingie. I also have only used one autodarkening hood, and it required batteries.

Somebody, please tell me. The pipeliner with the autodarkening thing is being sold on the website as a passive helmet. So what's the deal with the autodarkening thing?

I am so confused. But here is the link: http://www.aeriform.com/browse/productD ... IB110PBM10
    Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:48 am

All lenses, glass, whatever people choose to call them are filter plates. These "lenses" are made to block out 100 percent of harmful ultraviolet and infrared radiation and to filter visible light from the welding arc. Autodarkening "lenses" run on batteries, solar, or both. The particular hood you are looking at on the link does not have an adjustable shade feature that some others have. You are stuck with a shade 10. Why Airgas has it listed as a passive hood, I don't know. Some of the other Pipeliners that are passive come with a filter insert with it that helps to reduce fogging on the lense. Any more questions feel free to ask. Hope this helps.
Jim
Pipefitter/Weldor out of Local 396
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Emerson 7120 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
Generac XP8000E Generator
BooRadley

Ah, so in other words, they have listed it incorrectly as a passive helmet. I didn't see any mention of batteries in the ad, so it confused me. But the ad is pretty skinny all the way round, anyways.

Thanks, jpence. :)
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

Just a note I found on airgas-Their web prices are CRAP. If you have an airgas dealer near you, go in in person and you'll get a way better deal. I bought a 10 pack of 1/16 x 7 lanth tungsten, 7 dollars online, plus 10 dollars shipping for a packet that weighs what, half a pound? Anyway, went to airgas to buy some 3/32 x 7, listed at 35 bucks, guy knocked it down to 23. Oh ya, and the 1/16 lanth? 17 bucks list at the store.

edit:forgot to mention, took em 2 weeks to ship em to me. Thats crap :( For 10 bucks shoulda been overnighted (the over night rate was 35 dollars...on a 7 dollar item..i dont get it)
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
BooRadley

Thanks for the tip. :)

I gotta say, when I was calling around for a pair of Tillman 850S gloves a few days ago, the only local folk who had them in stock were airgas and red ball oxygen. the local airgas shop discounted them down to 15 something, and the red ball oxygen shop quoted me 23. Red ball said that that was with a student discount.
    Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:48 am

Isn't it a load of crap how they mark up the price on this stuff. I have a good relationship with my local Airgas because they really helped me with everything in putting my outfit together for my business. But for most of my small purchases I usually go to whoever has the best deal when I can spare a few days before I need it. I buy quite a bit of stuff from ebay and craigslist. Have gotten some amazing deals. Only got burned one time. Kermdawg was right about the prices at Airgas. The advertised price is never the price you should pay. They can always knock a few dollars off.
Jim
Pipefitter/Weldor out of Local 396
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Emerson 7120 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
Generac XP8000E Generator
kermdawg

Well how 90 percent of supply houses work, they use something called tier pricing. Basically theres multiple tiers, and you get a lower price per item the higher tier you are, and you get to a higher tier the more you buy. So a business that does 1mil + a year with say airgas for example, will get a FAR better price per item than Joe consumer walking in off the street. That being said, the guy behind the counter, if hes a cool guy, can give you his employee price, which is just over cost, like cost + 10 percent, which is even better then the tier 7 pricing.

I've also found, at least where I live, that the smaller (or more local) the business, the more the cost. I paid 10 dollars for a pack of 1/16 tungsten cause I thought it was a 10 pack, and it turned out to be a three pack :( My fault for not paying attention, but thats three time even what airgas charges per electrode. I want to support local business but hell man, I cant afford to :(
sschefer
    Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:44 pm

Open an account with Airgas and the prices change dramatically. The web prices when you're logged in with your account are the same as they are in the store with an account holders discount. Before I opened my account I was paying cash and they would throw me a student discount (I'm 57 mind you). My account prices are better than that by a few %. Might want to check into it. All you need to do is fill out the form so they can run a credit check. It takes a day or so but then you can rent tanks, etc.
Highly skilled at turning expensive pieces of metal into useless but recyclable crap..
Sarge

My regional Airgas rep Rocks! He gives me the deal on about everything, brings me samples. And as he is an avid hunter and I am an avid meat eater, we get along great!! Even have Fabricated diamond plated Aluminum counter cover for one of his stores with the Logo cut out of the front. They are thinking of having us do the whole region of stores... :P
Be Innovative.
Goal is perfection, but excellence is Acceptable.
Powermig 255C
Powermig 350MP x2
175 squarewave
Weld-pac 100
Hypertherm 600
Hypertherm 1250
kermdawg

I was thinking of opening an account with airgas anyway because I'm going to need to rent a cylinder or three in the near future, so its good to know the prices are that much better. I might just go do it tomorrow :) Good tip!
welder57
    Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:42 pm

i'm lucky that i have a Hahn welding store and Air-gas store not more than 300 yards away from each other. i use both stores religiously because where one can't cut me a deal on a particular item the other store can. hahn is usually lower with machine purchases where as airgas gas supplies are cheaper. spread the wealth my friend