General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
blaw012
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:48 pm

I have been welding for a couple of months now with a standard fixed shape helment, and I am looking to purchase a autodarkening helment. I have looked at some cheaper ones, but I haven't heard good things about them. I have also heard from older welders that the whole idea is junk. Any comments I am just unsure which way to go.
ironboy
    Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:33 pm

I'm a new member but have been welding for 7 years and I own both an auto and fixed helmet. I love the auto one its a cheap 50$ one my wife bought me at harbor frieght you should check it out
blaw012

I have seen the Harbor Freight helments but have heard mixed reviews about them. Has anyone had any experience with the miller helment or speedglas. What is the different between the miller helments is it protection or just bells and whistles?
Thanks
erector1
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:23 pm

I do alot of field welding alot of out of position stuff. my hood of choice is the miller digital elite autodarkeninghood aout$350. its a greathood. however in some instances the sensors can become blocked preventing the hood from darkening for this i keep my good ole fashion jackson fixed shade hood.
blaw012

I have looked at the miller helments and I like them a lot, but what is the difference between to elite the hobbist etc.
erector1
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:23 pm

THE hobiest has less range of shades the elite i have has shades 8-13 as well as a cut mode and a grind mode,also an x mode.its allpush button with a digital read out as well as memory for the various modes
rickbreezy
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:08 pm

I own 2 auto helmets, and I think 4 fixed shade flipfront helmets, Yes , I like variety. I bought the one from northern tool for 50 dollers(I'm convinced this one and the harbour freight on are the same. they even fit the same lens protectors.), and I have one from jakson, the lens alone being I think 100 dollers, and the sheild 25-30. Honestly, the northern tool one works better. I am a proffesional welder, and I find that the jackson lens often doesnt pick up light well enough, resulting in daily flashburn. It also doesnt have a fast enough switch speed to protect your eyes, resulting in spotty-ass vision.I dont have any of these problems from the northern sheild, but it uses special protective lenses that keep you going back every month or so. I think its a gimmick really. you go back and buy more stuff, I mean really, does 10 peices of plastic really cost 8 dollers to produce? yeah right.

I have also used speedglass and miller elite shield provided by employers. The speed glass doesnt suck, it just sucks for the price. Kinda like a 40$ steak that you realize came from the same rack as all the other steaks. I would say its about the same quality as my Northern Tool shield. And you hafta walk around and look like a stupid space cadet.

The miller shields(elite) are really great, the have more options(bells and whitsles), are as light as a feather, I mean really light, like a ballcap, and have a grind option(very very usefull and rare). And they look cool. But yes my northern tool shield works just as well, but its 2 pounds hevier and all you can really do is weld, or not weld. No bells, no whistles.

So yes I guess thats what it boils down to.

-Rick
JMAuto
    Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:54 pm

I use a cheapie $50 Auto Darker from Harbor Freight. It works, Does the Job... I have had 2 occassions after a long session where I have had spotty vision for about an hour after.
I have also used the Speedglass Helmet. I really like that one! 3M does make some decent stuff but again price was in the equation.

There is another helmet I have seen around that gives me a woody. Sad thing is that for some lame reason they are not brought into the country anymore.
joelwelder
    Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:39 pm

i used passive gear for 20 plus years before i started using auto darkening shield last year. i use a lincoln vista the price is reasonable and works very well for welding pipe at low amperage and also in extreme high amperage situations, also you dont have to buy special clear lenses you can use off the shelf items not only convienient but cost effective. the only problem is it is a little heavier than some shields but you get used to that
JAL1639
    Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:37 pm

jtybt
    Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:44 am

I've had the HF auto hood for over 5 years. First thing I had to do was make a brim or visor to shade the solar cell when outdoors or it would auto darken from the sun.

Charlie
JAL1639
    Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:37 pm

I bought the $50 one that Jody reviews and have been using it for 3 weeks now and have no complaints with it!
War Eagle!
milwiron
    Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:58 am

I had an Optrel that I paid 300 bucks for and hated it, I was always getting flashed and had trouble seeing through it with bifocals. I stubbornly tried to use it for years.
I now have a HF- http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=94336
It works fine. Go figure.
If this one dies I'll buy another one.
welder57
    Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:42 pm

i've had an older speedglass, nice but heavy. also didn't have a lot of side coverage as i'm a pipe welder. have a miller lx for the truck, nice and light. bought a miller elite for shop @ work, a little heavy for my liking. bought a viking(lincoln) 700g for home, nice. its all about a fine balance between features and comfort. trust me, i've been going to therapy for awhile on neck and shoulder, now having surgery. don't laugh, but don't be afraid to exercise, especially neck and shoulders
Sarge

For long continuous welds I still prefer the fixed Gold lens. I have used the speed glass, and they are ok if you are not in a hot environment or never perspire but but I have a bucket head and in humid hot environments tend to steam them up because they are a little narrow. My PERSONAL preference for an ;) auto is the Boss by Jackson. Huge viewing area. I chose the Jackson Halo-x hood to put it in. Light weight, and mine has a cool paint scheme (optional). The boss lens has plenty of bells and whistles, grind, cut, weld modes and multiple shades. It is all personal preference in the end. I have been welding professionally for 11 years. One of my employees has the Nexgen and likes it. I don't care much for it compared to the Boss, but hey... that's just me.
Be Innovative.
Goal is perfection, but excellence is Acceptable.
Powermig 255C
Powermig 350MP x2
175 squarewave
Weld-pac 100
Hypertherm 600
Hypertherm 1250
jakeru
    Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:30 pm

There is a new auto-darkening helmet at Harbor Freight with a "grind" mode, the "racing stripe helmet" model #67854. I picked it up for $54 after using a 20% off coupon. They do have a sale on it planned in early match where you could pick it up for even less (I think $45 sale price).

http://www.harborfreight.com/auto-darke ... 67854.html

This is a pretty good deal for an autodarkening helmet that not only works, but also has a "grind" mode. Aside from the addition of the "grind" mode (which is activated by rotating the shade adjustment knob on the side of the helmet all the way counter clockwise), and different (snazzy, red painted) graphics, its otherwise the same as the popular blue flame helmet, #91214.
Attachments
newhelmet.JPG
newhelmet.JPG (63.32 KiB) Viewed 1829 times
Wobulate
    Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:30 am

I have used an auto-darkening helmet from Harbor Freight for 6 years, works very well. The only time I was flashed is when I forgot to lower the hood ( :oops: ). My HF helmet is from ArcOne, you can find them on the web at http://www.arc1weldsafe.com/index.html, see location below. I received it as a Christmas present, I believe it cost about $99. The model I have is an Industrial 450.

It has the auto-off feature, and of course the solar cell charging circuit. I keep the helmet in a Miller helmet bag that has a clear plastic window in it to allow the helmet to charge when stored. I keep the bag on top of my Millermatic 251. They have continually improved on the design as my helmet has only one external control for shade (7-14). They have a new helmet with a huge viewing window (4.5 x 5.25"), it's called X450V Xtreme Variable shade 9-12, light state 3, sensitivity, delay and grind mode. I do not know the cost, but it is worth taking a look.
ArcOne
85 Independence Drive
Taunton, MA 02780
Toll Free: 1-800-223-4685
Fax: 508-884-9666
Email:Sales/Help/Questions

Wob
WOB
Lincoln,Precision TIG225
Miller,Millermatic 251
Miller,Spoolmatic 30A
Miller,Millermatic 130XP