General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Bonerack
    Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:52 am

I didn't know where to ask this and I can't find any answers for my question. I have a Viking 2450 and recently my lens just stays dark. It won't un-auto darken I suppose you can say. Anyone know the cause and maybe a solution without buying another for $200+... I changed the batteries as well.
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

I'm not all that familar with the viking.
Having said that its electronic.
Try removing the battery for 10 minutes.
Also look at the unit and look for delamination or discolouration.
Also look for crap covering the sensors and clean off.
I have never heard of a panel staying on ,its usually the fact the unit lets people get flashed and wont come on at all.
Try removing the battery, if that doesn't work live with it or replace it.
Not that helpful eh.
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....
welding@60
    Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:49 pm

Personely donot own a Viking AD shield but I have wittnested 3 AD lenes destroyed by young welders trying to see arc by being so close to arc heat litrely warped and ruined lenes expense lessons
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Did you replace both batteries?
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I've had mine for about 5 years and only had that happen when the batteries are dead. It could be a warranty issue but i would check the batteries with a meter to make sure they weren't bad out of the package.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:39 pm

The sensitivity setting set too high?
    Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:11 pm

I had to send my viking back. It would go through batteries in a few hours. They replaced it with the newer version that was much clearer.
Gerald Austin
If I didn't say it in the post- Have a great day !
Greeneville Tn
WWShop
    Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:38 pm

Seems odd that if it was a battery issue that it would stay dark, I would think it would be the opposite and not go dark then. IDK. I agree with checking the sensors to see if they are blocked or something.
Diesel
    Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:03 pm

How's that test button feel? Saw a hobart one get stuck on before. I have the 3350 and never had a problem. Battery low light is on in the morning but darkens fine as soon as I light up.
Country isn't country unless it's classic.
jeffBrian
    Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:36 am

dynasty200sd wrote:The sensitivity setting set too high?
this was my first thought.
do yourself a favor and get a miller hood. if you can't afford a digital elite or one of the higher end models the classic series is usually priced around 70.00 on ebay. well worth that price. I've had my miller for four years and I've wore different hoods before but nothing comes close to the ease of use and quality a miller hood comes with.

EDIT:
here's a quick ebay search.. ok so it's 80.00 not 70.00.
quick ebay search
quick ebay search
Screenshot_2016-02-25-08-09-36.png (313.69 KiB) Viewed 1343 times
Diesel
    Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:03 pm

Let's be honest I doubt it's the manufacturer or hood brand. This is just one of those times where you were unlucky. Either send it back for warranty or buy a new one.
Country isn't country unless it's classic.

If you signup to receive the newsletter from Welding Supplies from IOC, they will give you $15 off on the first purchase, you can always unsubscribe from the newsletter later if you don't want it.
Richard
Website