General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Next school year I will be taking a welding class at a local tech school. I currently don't have access to the supplies list and would like to buy stuff when it's on sale. What do I need for the structural welding class. Any recommendations for products or brands that are reasonably priced would be great.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Diesel
    Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:03 pm

Well you may be in the wrong field. Everything about welding is expensive. You'll need a decent grinder(~85$), a good chipping hammer(30$), wire brushes(10$ea) good hood(300$ auto,1-120 fixed) wheels(~4$ea) die grinder(~150$) good boots(200$) nice sleeves and jacket(150$ jacket, 85 sleeves) gloves(30$). That's a decent list to get started. Keep in mind I'm talking about being in the field. If it's a hobby, well then buy the cheapest you can, however there's a difference in quality. You'll find many other tools you'll need if you wish to be in the trade. I have 2-3 tool boxes full and a large bin tool box.
Country isn't country unless it's classic.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Does the school supply tools for your class? If so start with a few heavy denim shirts and a good hood and gloves. After that you can add to your collection as you go along.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

The school supplies nothing but metal and welders from my understanding.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Start with a hood. The first few days are likely shop saftey. That will give you time to see what's available and then compile a list. Some days I can get by with my hood and gloves and a file that I use like a chipping hammer and a wire brush.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

I've heard that the "TIG finger" works great. :-) I have a few and use them all the time.
http://weldmongerstore.com/products/tig ... aQodG_EDTg
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Some low cost items that will be useful :
Tape measure
Combination square
2 x wedges for setting prep gaps
Good quality ball pein hammer with wooden handle
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

Here is what I tell my students to have:
Good auto dark hood with at least five replacement clear lenses
Good thick gauntlet gloves; three or four pair
Leather boots
Safety glasses (I recommend more than one pair - you can use a new one as the old one wears out)
Chipping/Slag hammer
Wire Brush
One Pair of vise-grip type 'Finger Tip Clamps"
Pair of Walper Pliers - the type you use for GMAW (MIG) welding
An adjustable wrench
Good Tape Measure
Tri- Square - These have many names, but it is the kind that has an adjustable metal ruler on top of the angled piece
A good plastic bucket to haul all of the stuff around in, or a good bag

The school provides grinders, metal, consumables, etc. I have another list that they should have for going on a job. I hope this helps!
Gary
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

Rather than guess, and risk buying something you don't need, would it be an idea to stop by and get a copy of the supplies list?
Dave
aka "RTFM"
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Boomer63 wrote:Here is what I tell my students to have:
Good auto dark hood with at least five replacement clear lenses
Good thick gauntlet gloves; three or four pair
Leather boots
Safety glasses (I recommend more than one pair - you can use a new one as the old one wears out)
Chipping/Slag hammer
Wire Brush
One Pair of vise-grip type 'Finger Tip Clamps"
Pair of Walper Pliers - the type you use for GMAW (MIG) welding
An adjustable wrench
Good Tape Measure
Tri- Square - These have many names, but it is the kind that has an adjustable metal ruler on top of the angled piece
A good plastic bucket to haul all of the stuff around in, or a good bag

The school provides grinders, metal, consumables, etc. I have another list that they should have for going on a job. I hope this helps!
Gary
To what Gary said, I would add a couple pair of lightweight leather work gloves... Not absolutely necessary, but you'll appreciate the extra dexterity over heavy gauntlets when handling/prepping material.
I'd suggest steel-toe boots, as almost all jobs around metal will require them, so why not buy them now?
The pliers he referred to were slightly misspelled... They're "Welpers", a shortening of "welder's helpers"
The adjustable wrench should open to 1 1/8", the size of the nut on most gas bottles.
The fingertip clamps (in the Vise-Grip brand) are model R-11. I highly recommend the Vice-Grip brand over the knock-offs.

Steve S